Can a AB 5380 use a NTP server?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can a AB 5380 use a NTP server directly to keep time synced?

I have found references to NTP in the manual but nothing seems to should how to set up the PLC to use it.

Not sure if there is a direct way of fetching from an NTP on a PLC, but there is a time sync tool rockwell makes, which you can run on a server to push it's local time to the PLC.

If the local time is synced, all time get's synced.

- As Contr_conn mentioned, there's the NTP AOI, which I don't have experience with. (KB QA49644)

- Some industrial switches can take NTP and provide PTP.

- Use a 1756-TIME module

Rockwell changed the Knowledgeable search engine to a AI based search engine a couple of months ago in an effort to improve the search. Text searches work better than answer numbers now. Also as you input text into the search bar you will see suggested searches below the search bar. For example I put NTP AOI in the search and QA49644 was the top result. If you want to find a specific answer by number you need to click on the To find an answer using a previous Answer ID click on the
To find an answer using a previous Answer ID, click here link just below the search bar.