PLC interfacing with HMI and PC???

hamzasyyed

i need to interface a siemens PLC(300series) most probably 314ifm, with a HMI(LCD screen) and a personal computer for data aquisition,
now the problem being cost, and me not being able to buy modules and cards(which cost a lot), that is why im using the 314ifm which has integrateed analogue inputs and outputs.
now i understand that the interfacing can be done through MPI port, but there is only one MPI port available in the 314ifm, so either i can interface it with the PC(personal computer-desktop) or the HMI.

so here is what i was thinking interface the PLC with the PC directly and then interface the HMI with the PC, so i can aquire data on the PC, and then display that data on to the HMI.
will this be possible? if so which HMI will i need to use, a siemens one/can some other be used?can the data be displayed real time?will control be possible through the HMI(inputs to the PLC) or will it only display?
also are there any models with 2 MPI ports in the processor itself? the maximum cable length of the MPI,because my PC will be 70 meters away.

MPI is not limited to only peer to peer.
It's a bus system allowing up to 32 nodes.

By using simple Profibus cables and giving each station a unique MPI address, connecting all 3 devices shouldn't be a problem.

And then I read the last part, where you mention the length.
Maximum length for MPI is 50m.

What equipment do you still need to purchase?

How much data acquisition will you require?

The touch screens we offer include the capability to write data to an SD card or CF card (depending on the model) as well as the ability to interface via Ethernet. From there this data can be transferred to a PC (by card or by connection).

So, if you have the ability to interface a screen to your PLC, then you may have an inexpensive solution.

Here is a link to the drivers supported for the screens we offer.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/kep/files/MMI8000driverlist.pdf

More information about the screens can be found through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/MMI8000.htm

Hope this helps.

A few comments:

The official limitation of an MPI segment without repeaters is 50 m. But I think you can go 70 m. with no problems.

Do you by "acquire data" mean data logging ?

You talk of a separate HMI and PC solutions as a solution to that you can only have one HMI connected at a time. But since that is not correct (you can have several), then maybe this requirement is irrelevant. Maybe you can do both HMI and data logging on one PC. If you tell more about what you really need to achieve we can help you better.

Your 314IFM is totally obsolete. I hope you got it for free or next to nothing. For a new low cost installation I would suggest an IM151-8 CPU with ET200S i/o, or if that is too expensive still, an S7-1200. Both have ethernet which you can interface to a PC without expensive hardware.

details

i still havent bought anything, i am in the designing stage.
basically i am designing a leak detection system,using (pressure decay system)
the reason why i was going for the 314ifm was due to its integrated input and outputs, which are also present in other processors in the 300 series aswell.
im not that sure but isnt the S7 1200 a more expensive solution?we do have some cost issues due to the part of the world im living in.
the screen is meant for the worker/operator who will be at the workstation.it just needs to display the pressure data of the last piece(pass/fail) and some readings, the reason why the PC is needed is so that data can be saved(excel/some other software) for quality purposes, also so that this data will then be available to all the company PC's connected through LAN.
i appreciate you all sticking through this as i am not a control/ electronics engineer.
so the ONE MPI port, will allow me to transfer data to both my LCD and PC?
are there any other solutions for the processor other than the 314ifm, which would cost in the range of $1000-2000?

repeater

will extending the length of the MPI cable to 70 meters using a repeater cause any problems (signal/data losses)?
also how much would a repeater cost, does siemens make them?
also the data that i would save onto the PC would contain :
pressure reading, pass/fail, piece number,piece name(around 700pieces per day)
so 700 such rows everyday.also we are constrained to use only siemens PLC's,
thanksyou again everyone
also due to the cost of ethernet module(we were thiinking of having a PC near the station, but since you have told me that 70 meters shouldnt be a problem(we might not need this))
also JapserMP can you please tell me about how the connections will be made from the MPI port in my PLC to the HMI screen and PC, will i need to buy a bus like a usb bus,which has a single inlet and mulltiple outlets?

Last edited:
314IFM is discontinued by Siemens. The replacements are called 313C or 314C.

But, I really really advice you to ditch MPI and go for ethernet.
If you do not want to consider IM151-8 + ET200S or S7-1200, then consider the 314C-2PN/DP.
Both IM151-8 + ET200S and S7-1200 will be enough for the job.
S7-1200 is the least expensive. In fact it is a low-cost PLC, but still good enough for many applications.
The IM151-8 + ET200S is at least as powerful as a 313C or a 314C, just far less expensive.

Take a look to our S7-LAN. This module converts MPI to TCP/IP. There is an OPC-Server included for 100 variables with no additional charge. Here you find the module S7-LAN.
Traeger Industry Components www.1a-plctools.com. If you like to use note OPC we've got a cheap software driver.

For something like this I have to agree with Jesper. I would use a S7-1200. In the Siemens Family it will be your most cost effective solution. You can get Siemens Basic Screens that work with it and they are both programmed from the same software package. The s7-1200 is the price competitive with the S7-200 series and cheaper than the 300 or 400.

An alternate is to use an S7-200 with a Red Lion G3 HMI. I use this method a lot and it is cost effective. Several of the S7-200 come with dual comm ports so commissioning is easy. You use the HMI to talk to the PC in this method. Programing software for the G3 is a free download from the internet.

http://www.redlion.net/

The cheapest I have used is a Unitronics Vision OPLC (Vision 130 Model) which is a combination PLC and HMI and has a OPC/DDE server built in to enable data transfer to a PC. Programming software and OPC/DDE utility is a free download from the internet.

http://www.unitronics.com/Series.aspx?page=Vision130#Tab=Communication