RSLogix5000 wants FactoryTalk Password

kekrahulik

Anyone had this before?

Rslogix5000 on WindowsXP ran fine yesterday when I shut my computer down.

Today whne I launch RSlogix5000, it begins to launch and then pops open a small login window asking for the FactoryTalk User and Password. Of course, I have no clue for either(tried many).

If I login to WinXP under my alternate account, RSLogix launches without any issue.

I'm assuming this will ultimately lead to wasting time on the phone with Rockwell Support, but thought I'd float it out to the group first.

I am guessing, but I think you may need a minimum of Administrator rights in the account.

Look at factory talk diagnostics utilitites for the error logs, they are very detailed.

The most common reason explained in technote 468494 - RSLogix 5000 V20 software prompts Log On to FactoryTalk when started.

I didn't talk to Rockwell to get the official answer, but I finally managed to login into Factory Talk from my non-admin account by entering my admin ID and password for the FactoryTalk Login screen. I don't know if it wanted any Admin ID or if FactoryTalk assumed my Admin ID when I installed all of the Rockwell stuff 6 months ago.

I don't have time to restart now, but I'm curious if I'll need to login to FactoryTalk every time I start my computer. I haven't ever had to do that for the 6 months that I've been using RSL Ver 20 - don't know what changed.

Just read the technote that Contr_Conn referenced. Doesn't explain why I was OK for 6 months (makes me wonder if my IT people chnaged something on me), but it does explain how to fix the issue.

Thank you to Contr_Conn. I had searched AB's site and hadn't found the technote.

Here's the general gist of technote 468494, the technote has more detail provided on how to setup the current user in FT directory:

RSLogix 5000 v20.00 software enables FactoryTalk Security by default.

When launching RSLogix 5000 software, the “Log On to FactoryTalk” dialog box may be displayed. This dialog box may be seen when you do not have Administrator privileges on the personal computer and the current user does not exist in the FactoryTalk directory. If this dialog box is cancelled, the RSLogix 5000 software will not be launched. When the dialog box is displayed, entering the credentials for a user that exists in the FactoryTalk Directory will allow RSLogix 5000 software to be launched. Administrator accounts are included in the FactoryTalk Directory by default. (x124955)
To avoid seeing this dialog box, you can add the current user or user group to the FactoryTalk directory.

This whole FT directory stuff is just too wobbly.I have the same issue when trying to open RSLOgix 5000.I did read the technote suggested above however that implies that you are at that computer ,physically there.I am trying to do all this using Remote Desktop .If I try to reconfigure the FT directory using the wizard I cannot log in as my computer (at the other end of RDP ) doesn't have an account set up !!! Which is ok. However this happened suddenly with no apparent reason or trigger. I don't have to mention that everything worked perfectly for 3 months.

Last edited:
I'm am now getting the same thing while connecting via VPN and RDP even using RSLogix 500. It worked before, but possibly there was an install of RSL5K ver 20 in between. Would have been nice to know up front and be given an option. Apparently Factorytalk sees my home computer name and not my desktop name. I will have to work on this when back at work.

Hi All

I can only say that ver 20 may be the cause as it has caused me so much trouble ;), with networks and rs view me.
Did not come across this problem but FT can be a bit of a night mare when and if it goes wrong.

Donnchadh.

Hii All,

Did anyone got solution for above query?? Am also facing same problem. I have installed RSLogix 5000 V20.0.

Thanks,
Shailesh

Last edited:
Hi

I sure did and you are not going to like it.
I had to upgrade to ver 21 on both logix 5000 and RS networks for denet and control net. I also upgraded to ver 7 of rs view me and all they problems that were caused when I installed ver 20

Donnchadh

Ohhh...
Currently, I have installed FTView 20.0. But I also not able to uninstall it. Really ridiculous.. While removing any of its component, it says following products are dependant on it..
I cannot remove any of its component.
What to do?

I had the same issue

Gents, the same thing happened to me today. I have recently installed the latest FT after a newly installed anti virus program (pushed down by the company) severed the connection to my activation directory.

We are on a domain here so even when I used a local admin account to "log in" it didn't work as it needed an admin account on the domain.. so i used Username: DOMAIN\myusername Password:mydomainpassword. and Boom it worked.

The funny thing is that I installed FT a week ago and today is the first time it asked me for a login.

you can check your domain username by going to command prompt and typing whoami

Then type "net localgroup administrators" and see if your name is on the list. If you are you should be golden if not contact IT and get yourself added.

I have installed Studio 5000 V23 on my Windows 8 PC. This factory talk log in appeared and was not able to run the program. I notice that there are other softwares also installed that are not present on previous versions such as FT Directory Configuration and Administration Console. I have ran Directory configuration and it says that the configuration must run before the softwares can be used. I have configured the directory and the next time i open studio 5000 it ran smoothy and doesnt need to do the logon.

I ran into it today with RSLOGIX5K ver 20.01. It was asking us to log into the Factory Talk Server- Network. I changed our Factory Talk server from Local to Network, and in the network I had it point to the Local Machine. We are on a domain.
Factory Talk Tool -> Specify Factory Talk Directory Locations -> Log in with local admin name and PW. Change the Factory Talk Directory installed on: from This Computer to Remote Computer. Browsed for the local computer by clicking on the Elipse Box and browsing for it our Active Directory. Didnt have to reboot. Was able to open RSLOGIX5000.