S7 Mmc Card

Hallo to all,

I have a problem with a 2 MB MMC Card from Siemens.
Till I have neither a Siemens PG nor an external USB-Prommer form Siemens, I tryed to erase a MMC Card in a standard USB Card Reader.
So I Formated the Card with FAT16 and I hoped after that I will be able to format the Card again in the PLC (hold MRES 10 Sec and so on)
but it does not work.
Has anybody an idea where I can get a PC-program to format the MMC Card again in the Siemens original format?

Thanks for your answers

Erwin

As far as I know, the Siemens MMC card is a standard MMC card but with a special Siemens formatting.
There is no comercially available software that can reformat it (how about Siemens "Field PG", does it have a MMC slot ?).
I guess that you can throw the card in the bin, or try to send it to Siemens to have it "fixed".

Dont throw the Card!

once I wrote a program to read and write those MMC cards to / from images to mail them to clients for reproduction, where no remote access to the PLC was installed.

You can take any other MMC Card with the same size, do one image and put it to the wracked one. After you can use it as normal

all you need you will find here:

http://www.telefonica.net/web/suwe

JesperMP,

Those programs will work with allmost all Multicard reader, if they are recognized by a drive letter to the win32 system.

good luck

please report bugs!

jcarlos

Sorry, i will read twice next time..

unfortunately no, or at least not to MMC Cards you can by now.

Depending on the hardware of the card it will be handled with a different drive geometry.

I tried with the smallest card I could get hold of, 32Mb, and no chance.

I know that the physical size of the card is much larger as the formated. If I do remember right one 128Kb card contains 1.7Mb raw capacity.

It went some time past since I did this, but if anyone has some old (smaller than 8Mb) non Siemens cards and like to try I can make up some tools to display the drive geomety of MMC cards. I think cards with a similar drive geometry (= internal memory mapping) could do.

What I do remember, is that the Siemens cards had all single head and may single track......(one continious memory field ? easy to handle by S7 memory management)

jcarlos,

Even if it only works with identical siemens MMC cards, its still a great advantage to be able to email an image to someone who doesnt have STEP7 and a Siemens MMC card writer.

Did you know that MHJ has made a free MMC read/write utility for MMC cards (when it is in place in the CPU). Its HERE . The disadvantage when compared with your tool, is that it requires an online cable for S7.
Maybe you should talk to these people.

jesperMP,

no i did not know, not bad for systems without MMC.

You can use my program also to put images on MMC's smaller an sometimes larger then the original, depends on the chip.(not on the label)

Hi all,

I have win hex and also the image files 64k, 512k, 4mb and 8 mb. i have my memory card in the reader and formatted to fat 16. It is a 4MB siemens card which when formatted is approx 13.4mb. My 4mb image file is 15.7 mb in size. How do i get the image from my pc to my memory card. Thanks in advance for any help.

there is a difference between having a image of a logical drive and a physical drive.

I would use S7ImgRD1 and S7ImgWR1 to transfer the content of one new S7 MMC to the formated.

good luck

jcarlos said:
there is a difference between having a image of a logical drive and a physical drive.

I would use S7ImgRD1 and S7ImgWR1 to transfer the content of one new S7 MMC to the formated.

good luck

Thanks for that. I have found the s7imgrd1 and s7imgwr1 but when i try and point to the location of my image file using the s7imgwr1 it doesnt appear. I have attached the image files i have, could you please advise if they are the correct format for use with this program, or if anyone could possibly send me the correct image file for use with the program. The card i have accidently formatted is a siemens 4mb mmc. Thanks for your help guys.

jcarlos, you are a hero ! (y) (y)

I have to get a couple of panels out the door, and I have one good and one bad MMC card, what to do ?
So I took an image with your tool, and restored it on the bad card, with the intended program already on it - and it worked !
Not only did it work, but the MMC cards are from two different generations (!), one being an -8LF11 the other being an -8LF20. The "geometry" is different, but it still worked OK.

I think this is a very very useful tool.
I have a suggestion. How about that everytime we get a new type card, we take an image snapshot and post the image in the downloads section.
I suggest that Phil make a subfolder in the Siemens folder for "MMC images".

Any comments to this ?