1771-IFE/C REV Difference or program

e27978

I am replacing a 1771-IFE/C analog input module (12 bit) on in a plc 5/20 I have installed the jumpers in the correct position (based on the card I am replacing)
after installing and powering back up I have a solid green run light but all of the readings from the card to the panel view are stared out as if they are to high or low (****)

The only difference the cards is the revision number new card is rev (n04) old card is something like (g03)? Dont have the card right now. Can this be the problem. Or do changes need made to the program?

Thanks

Last edited:
e27978 said:
I am replacing a 1771-IFE/C analog input module (12 bit) on in a plc 5/20 I have installed the jumpers in the correct position (based on the card I am replacing)
after installing and powering back up I have a solid green run light but all of the readings from the card to the panel view are stared out as if they are to high or low (****)

The only difference the cards is the revision number new card is rev (n04) old card is something like (g03)? Dont have the card right now. Can this be the problem. Or do changes need made to the program?

Thanks

What does the raw data look like in the PLC? If its bad there then I would double check jumpers. Assuming you made no programming changes what so ever.

Edit: changed dip swithces to jumpers, my bad sorry.

Last edited:
Are you sure your program executed BT Write to this module?

Some program do it only on the first processor scan?
Check it and may be try to execute it again.

Greetings e27978,

reference page 2-5 of the 1771-IFE/C User Manual ...

the older 1771-IFE/A and 1771-IFE/B modules could not return values outside of their assigned scaling ranges ... in MOST cases that means that the lowest number that you’d ever see would be “0” and the highest number that you’d ever see would be “4095” ... the 1771-IFE/C module is “new and improved” ... it WILL allow numbers outside of its assigned scaling range ...

there is an extra jumper located at the top of the module ... I’d check its position and compare it to the way your original module was set up ... basically if this jumper is placed as shown below, then the “new and improved” 1771-IFE/C will act like an “oldie but goodie” 1771-IFE/A or 1771-IFE/B module ... specifically, the reported values won’t be able to go above or below their assigned range ...

ifec_jumper.JPG

your statement:

all of the readings from the card to the panel view are stared out as if they are to high or low

makes me think that this COULD be your problem ... if it’s not, I’d suggest that you post your program file ... we’d be glad to take a look at it ... honestly though, if nothing has been changed, then it’s hard to understand what could be affecting your system the way you described ... as my distinguished colleague Mickey said: what does the data look like in the PLC? ... and double-check ... and then triple-check the jumper positions ... smart money says that’s where the problem lies ...

also ... we’re assuming (gosh I hate that word) that the original module that you’re replacing was also a 1771-IFE/C ... if that’s incorrect, you need to tell us so ... the older 1771-IFE/A and 1771-IFE/B modules have a completely DIFFERENT jumper arrangement from the 1771-IFE/C ... so that begs the question: if you’re replacing an older “/A” or “/B” with the “/C”, then are you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY 100% certain that you CORRECTLY converted the old jumper pattern into the equivalent new jumper pattern? ...

hope this helps ... and welcome to the forum ...

and I see that my colleague Contr_Conn (also distinguished) has posted a good thought while I was typing ...

I assumed (I still hate that word) from your statement:

after installing and powering back up ...

that you’ve already eliminated the “start up configuration” problem as a possible culprit ... but if you did NOT fully start the system from “scratch” then by all means follow Contr_Conn’s excellent advice ...

The only difference the cards is the revision number new card is rev (n04) old card is something like (g03)?
Ron,
Based on this comment I assume OP replacing Ser C card with Ser C.

But I would ask another question -what was wrong with old card that needed replacement? It may not be card problem at all.

Last edited:
Old card is giving Irratic readings large number fluctations on multiple readings. I have checked for interference and grounding. Even removed other monitoring systenm from the loop.

old card is C ser new card is C ser

Have not checked actual readings in plc program

Will not have an oppertunity to work with this again until wed next week.

Thank you for your suggestions will try and re post with results