Software Timebombs

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
Probably not a subject some will not want to comment about.

We are doing some work for a customer in the States and by their own admissions, money is running thin.

I have made one pre-commissioning visit to the plant, totalling $14k, which they have eventually paid.

I'm due to fly out again on Thursday for the final two weeks commissioning and start up.

The project is protected with a sk file already and a rung comparing the current controller serial number with a DINT to allow the program to progress.

As there is remote access, we wish to put a countdown timer in that expires in 2 months, which will also prevent the programme running. Should they pay, I can log on and remove easily.

What are the general thoughts?

Make sure that the customer knows about it, and your boss knows about it.
I still think it is a bad idea.

There are better ways to assure payment. Funds deposited to an escrow account, irrevocable letter of credit, a bond to name a few. I'm sure your bean counters can come up with others.
There are too many ways the software bomb can backfire. Suppose the customer's backup copy is the one with the software bomb and he has to replace the CPU somewhere down the road. Suppose you get incapacitated between the commissioning and the final payment and nobody remembers to defuse it?

All good comments. I must point out, i'm just the Controls guy. I get paid my salary to make things work and to bow to my pay masters.

My wages get used to pay my mortgage and put food on the table, I don't run the company or get involved in what payments are due and when they are due.

However, some of the comments have given me food for thought about the ethics involved in what i am being asked to do.

Suppose the software bomb ignites and a process is running? You could hurt someone or the equipment, or trap parts in the equipment.

I think that after the delivery, commisioning and payment part of the project value, all equipment, machinery and software is the customer property.
The subject is quite controversial, and all financial regulations should be included in the contract.
I agree with NetNathan about equipment damage.

The "match program to CPU serial number" feature in Studio 5000 is specifically designed for customers who do careful runtime authorization of their control systems.

The ones who do it right put it into the terms of the contract up front. One customer of mine actually leases their control system to the customer, and has logic that will warn the operator and then cause the machine to not start if the lease payments are not made.

I'm an electric car enthusiast, and a couple European makers chose to lease the battery pack to car buyers. It makes things interesting in the aftermarket: I can buy a used Smart FourTwo EV for very cheap, but I'd be taking over the battery lease and maintenance agreement and the battery would legally belong to Mercedes Benz Financial Services. If you don't pay the lease, the company can actually reach out and disable your vehicle's battery pack from initializing. Nobody on the owner forums has been brave enough to experiment and figure out if they actually follow through.

I wouldn't put a secret logic bomb into a customer project. Courts are going to look at it as an underhanded sabotage effort and would be more likely to entertain things like consequential damages when adjudicating the dispute. Better to make it a problem for the lawyers.

I agree with Ken, it could be considered sabotage.
Funny thing is there seems to be a gray line between a software lockout in a PLC and software expatriation which renders a program useless (like my yearly Rockwell Toolkit license). But then again when software expires, it doesn't shutdown a machine while it may be running.

Not saying you don't warn the customer about this, but best to do so nothing is running at the time. No start.

I only did it once because boss knew they wouldn't pay, which it took lawyers to get them to cough up, and they did. Defiantly, they tried to skate around this to get it working for a few months.

Well, you can't hire an unemployed handyman in 'Lil Detroit' and expect him to make this system work before your court date. They tried, but it was much easier for them after our lawyer confirmed the check cleared.

Pay your bills!!!

I've said this before. If you have to resort to software bombs to get your customers to pay you for your work, you really need to find a better class of customer.

Steve, it was only one customer that we were trying to help, and knew he wouldn't pay. He eventually did, but lawyers made out as well.

There are junk people out there...

Sometimes, you deal with what's up at the moment. I enjoyed working on that project!

Last edited: