RSlogix 5000: How to delete unused tasks

Can't Delete a Task

I know this is an old topic, but since I ran across it while trying to delete a task I know others will still need this info. First off there seems to be confusion in this thread between what a Task is and a program. Tasks are the folders that contain programs, they are either continuous, event, or periodic type. Programs are the folders that you place in a task. Both have issues that make them a little difficult to delete but in shot you start at the bottom and delete from the bottom up, you also have to make sure that programs are not scheduled in their parent task. Now my problem was I was converting a PLC 5 project to Logix and when you do that they create a bunch of Event tasks rather than putting it all in continuous like it was in PLC 5. So like everyone else I move them BUT the big problem was there is an instruction that I had never seen that is an event instruction and it is used like a JSR anyway the way I figured out why my Task could not be deleted was I right clicked on my Task and did a cross reference and that is how I found the Event instruction within my Main continuous task. If the task is referenced at all you can't delete it. so I deleted the Event instruction that referenced my task and bang Right click, click delete and your done. Hope this helps someone get this done MUCh faster than I.

... I ran into the same problem with Tasks when I translated an old PLC5 program to CLX. The translator created a task for every routine for some reason and instead of re-doing the translation, I moved...

The reason it created so many tasks for the programs is:

1) (Single file tasks) In the original project, there is no (JSR) calling the program in the new task. (in my case within the PLC5 migration project)

2) (Multi file tasks) each program at the top of each task has a (JSR) instruction calling the following programs within the same task.

This is what seems to be the case, and there may be more to it. If anyone else has a better explanation then please feel free correct me.

Thanks for this site. It has been a life saver. I have recently become a life member to add my support in return.

Respectfully,
Anthony

Hello I just recently have this dilema. And as i have tested it there is only one way to delete.

1. Put the program/task in unscheduled phase programs/task.
2. Delete all program tags
3. Delete all routines inside the program/task folder. Delete should be not greyed out after this and you delete the program/task folder that is unwanted.

Deleting a task in main routine

Wow I would not have thought of this either just move it to unscheduled and then delete all of the routines from it and then it can be deleted.
Thanks to the original poster and to DenZ__P for the answer

RSLogix/Studio 5000 will not let you delete anything that has a "reference" to it.

Use the Search and/or Cross-Reference tools to find tags or references and delete as appropriate, then you will find that the "Delete" option becomes available.

If the "delete" option is greyed out for any tag or AOI, then something is attached to it.

Delete

If you go into RSlogix 5000 v19 and create a Main Task without anything tied to it you will not be able to delete it. The only way is to move it to a unscheduled task for it to be deleted, That is what they were talking about.

If you go into RSlogix 5000 v19 and create a Main Task without anything tied to it you will not be able to delete it. The only way is to move it to a unscheduled task for it to be deleted, That is what they were talking about.

IDC what the discussion was about, all I said was you cannot delete anything that has a reference to it. The fact that a task is scheduled means it is referenced in the task schedule, ergo you can't delete it ...

I think we are confusing the terms Tasks and Programs. Programs must be unscheduled in order to delete them. There is no unscheduled option for Tasks. Once all scheduled programed have been removed from a task, it can be deleted.

Daba's comment about "referenced" items is spot on. I see comments above about deleting tags before you can delete a Program. That is not necessary if they aren't being used/referenced. You can delete a program that has unreferenced tags. I think it is more a habit for people after deleting routines to go ahead and delete tags. It isn't wrong, it just isn't necessary.

OG

Last edited:
Daba's comment about "referenced" items is spot on.
OG

Of course it is, you simply cannot delete anything that is attached to something else, and the programming software is 100% robust in telling you that fact.