Kinetix 5500 Winding using Torque Control?

misterturbo

Hi All,

Was hoping someone would be able to offer some pointers on a setup I am working on.

I am well versed in PLC programming however I have had limited experience in working with Servo control applications. By limited I mean the only experience I have had was recently attending a supplier 1 hour in house lab on these devices.

Basically I am trying to create a winding system using 2 Kinetix 5500 drives (2198-H-003-ERS) with 2 Kinetix VPL Motors (VPL-A0631E)

The plan is to use a master/slave setup with the drives, with the master feeding the material at a constant speed and the slave following at the same speed. (note There is a reason why this way was chosen rather than just winding with a motor in the center core)

A free spinning roller where the media will wind around will sit between the master and slave rollers and pressure applied to a sled to keep all three devices together.

My question is, the slave will run at the same speed as the master but will need to adjust due to difference in radius of the media at its end. Is there a way to run the slave (torque control?) so that it adjusts according to a defined torque entry?

yes there is
what is the material - steel, paper, tissue or foil or something else

There are other posts here about winder control

Can we have a picture of the setup?
Your start position with roll sizes and your finish position with roll sizes
I cannot determine if the unwind (master) is centre or edge unwind
From your description the rewind is centre driven

There are a number of ways to do this.

Peter Nachtwey is the best once we have the details

Thank you for your reply! To answer your question,the material is hollow fiber membrane, so basically a sheet of flexible fiber 1/16" in thickness with different dimensions but typically one such could be 40 x 40".

The fiber sheet manually glued on the center core, then as you can see in the attached illustration, the sheet is fed by the master roller while the slave roller turns in the opposite direction. By driving this roller instead of the cartridge center core the linear speed at the nip point is constant regardless of cartridge size. Glue is dropped by extruders into the area where the center core and master meets.

As mentioned in the first post, I would like to use the torque feature of the Kinetix 5500 drives to limit the torque of the slave drive to a certain value. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

nip.jpg

I'm pretty sure the K5500 supports the SLAT operation mode (Speed Limited Adjustable Torque). If so, that should allow you to adjust the driven torque without risking runaway.

Keith

Both the master and the slave are edge controlled (the diameter of the roll does not change as the core changes size)
I would think that you only need to use a MAG with a Ratio that is NOT 1:1

By slowing down the slave the wind will be looser (ratio < 1) eg 0.98
By speeding up the slave the Wind will be tighter (Ratio > 1) eg 1.02
This all assumes that the sled pressure will not allow the slave roll to slip

You can monitor the torque and use that to adjust the ratio on the fly

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the K5500 supports the SLAT operation mode (Speed Limited Adjustable Torque). If so, that should allow you to adjust the driven torque without risking runaway.

Keith
Hi, sorry to revive an old thread. I have a K5500 a 2198-H025-ERS. I'm trying to enable the SLAT operating mode but I don't see it in the parameter list. I have the Axis Configuration set to Velocity Loop. Is there anything else that needs to be done to enable SLAT configuration? Thanks

SLAT Mode

Per KB 869688:
SLAT setup for Kinetix 5500 is in appendix D of 2198-UM001SLAT setup for Kinetix 5700 is in appendix D of 2198-UM002
There is also information on SLAT in motion-rm003 in chapter 4.

Basically, under the General category, set Axis Configuration to Velocity Loop. Click apply. This should change the parameters available to expose the SLAT parameters. ***SLAT allows switching between velocity and torque mode, hence why it needs to be in velocity mode.

You'll need to set the following parameters per your application:
-SLATConfiguration

-SLATSetPoint
-SLATTimeDelay