Address reserve cards and 1769 Compact Logix

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,

I need to add in a few discrete and analog cards for an existing 1769 Compact Logix system at a local Treatment Plant for an expansion project. The existing rack has address reserve cards installed that I've never dealt with. In previous experiences, in order to add new cards, I would take the following steps.

1.) Save a copy of the existing project and power down the PLC.

2.) Pull off 1769 compact logic locking tabs for the end plate and insert new cards at the end of the rack as to avoid any address changes or conflicts on the program. (Make sure end plate gets put back on).

3.) Power the system back up and Hop online with the processor and edit the I/O config and the new cards firmware revisions to match the new cards.

4.) test out the I/O on the newly installed cards.

Since the address reserve cards are in the middle of the rack, is there anything special I need to know about them or am I basically just installing the I/O cards in the address reserve space instead of at the end of the rack as stated in step #2. The way I see it the address reserve cards are put in place to be able to add in new Discrete Input cards beside existing ones, Add in new Discrete Output cards beside existing ones, and add in new analog cards beside existing ones so they're more organized and not at the end of the racks.

Any input is much appreciated.

Regards,

Tex

IIRC, the ARM modules aren't even in the IO area of the PLC program. I think they are just there to complete the circuit and supply a connection to the cards located further down the block. If they aren't in the IO tree, you should be able to power the block down, remove the ARM card, add the IO card in it's place, add the new IO card into your offline file, and then download to the PLC and go online.

I'm not 100% on this though, someone else will know for sure

The ARM is for exactly what it's name implies, it reserves that module location. I use them when converting a SLC to Compact Logix when the SLC has an open slot (not at the end). This keeps all of the IO labeling the same as the SLC (or at least close enough)
When you want to add a new IO module (not to the end but where the ARM is) simply remove the ARM and put the new module in and download the program. All of the addresses past that module will remain the same.

ARM modules do not need to be in the IO tree. But I have seen where people will put a generic module there and Inhibit it.

I've also use them in a system where a Compact Logix was being used instead of a CLX rack to keep costs down. The CLX rack had empty slots but we wanted to keep the addressing the same, the ARM allowed us to do that.

You're basically spot on with all of your steps and assumptions there. It may just be a matter of adding the cards to the configuration, or as JaxGTO suggested, there may be generic modules configured in the ARM slots and inhibited. In which case you just have to delete the generic modules in RSLogix before adding in your new ones.

Pretty straightforward!

Thanks for all the replies. When I look on the I/O Config there isn't any generic modules defined and inhibited. There's basically nothing in address reserve space. I'll post a picture of the 1769 I/O rack and the RSLogix I/O config so you guys can have a look.

I just want to clarify what i want to do and make sure I have it right as I'm doing this install tomorrow.

I need to add in the following cards:

- 1x 1769 IA16 16pt Discrete input card
- 1x 1769 OW8I 8pt Discrete output card
- 1x 1769 OF4CI 4 CH analog output card

* For the input card I want to use address reserve space [5]
* For the Output card I want to use address reserve space [8]
* For the Analog output card I want to use address reserve space [16]

This makes the most sense as they'd be beside their counterparts.

Step 1.) Save a copy of the program and then shut down the power supply

Step 2.) Label the IO cards screw in terminal blocks

Step 3.) Pull apart racks and insert cards in above described designated spots.

Step 4.) Put together the cards and insert the IO cards screw in terminal block to their corresponding cards.

Step 5.) Power back up the Power supply and IO rack.

Step 6.) Add in the new cards on IO Config from the offline version of the program, make sure firmware is correct and modules aren't inhibited.

step 7.) Download the updated version of the program to the processor and go online with the program and put the processor into remote run.

step 8.) Test out the newly added cards to make sure their IO points work.

If I'm missing anything please feel free to chime in and give me any advice I may need. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Tex

All 1769 modules have a power supply distance rating. Most modules including all yours have a distance rating of 8 so you're fine as long as they're 8 spots or less from a power supply. Some specialty modules have a distance rating of 4 or 6. I've used a ProSoft module that had to be in the first two of a L43 rack.

Your pics don't show.

I'm not sure why the pics won't show, for some reason the site doesn't like my Mac lol. I'll lay it out the I/O Rack:

IO Rack one

[1] - 1769 - SDN/A device net scanner
[2] - 1769 - IA16/A
[3] - 1769 - IA16/A
[4] - 1769 - IA16/A
(Address reserve for module [5])
[6] - 1769 - OW8I/B
[7] - 1769 - OW8I/B
(Address reserve for module [8])

end of rack one

IO Rack two

[9] - 1769 - IF4I/A