S7 - just for info, curious problem with Labels

RMA

I had another funny problem today, which I think it's worth brodcasting for the benefit of any others who may happen to have the same problem.

I had been making a few changes to an FB, including a couple of Parameter changes and when I tried to store it I got a little message box up saying there was a problem with the "handle". Trying to find out what was wrong by hitting the Help button didn't get me much further since the message that came up was for a different problem (also had a different fault number).

After trying a few things, for reasons that I'm not sure of, I suddenly got a more normal message that the block could not be saved because of some errors - and sure enough I now had some red lines which previously weren't there.

This was where the fun began though, because I assumed that fault was a problem with a DB access, rather like the recent Instance DB problem that I had. After trying to solve the problem for about half an hour or so, I decided just to comment out the bits that were causing problems, so I could go looking again tomorrow. since the lines concerned all had labels, I decided to extract the labels and put them on their own line with a "NOP 0", so that I wouldn't have to modify all my jumps.

No sooner said than done and hey! - suddenly my DB line is black and the label's red - I'd been looking in the wrong place all the time! The funny thing is, I couldn't find anything wrong with the labels, even using the search function turned up only the one label. However, slightly changing the labels solved the problem.

The most annoying thing is that I usually put my labels on a line of their own anyway, so that if I need to make any changes at the label entry it's easier to do. I still don't know why I didn't do that this time, but it will certainly be the last time!

Also label related.

Sometimes I try to give labels a logical name like END or STRT instead of the Siemens M001. It happend to me in the past that when I compared blocks online/offline I got differences. The only difference that I could find is that online the labels where automatically renamed to M001 and M002 instead of END or START.

This happend to me one year ago. I can't remember the exact handelings I was doing but thought it was worth mentioning. When I was confinced the only software difference where the label names I just downloaded the block againg and the problem was gone.