RS Logix 5000 training exercises

hi guys,

i am a apprenitce and so by default completely incompetant. i have good experience (for someone who has only been working for 18 months) with RS Logix 5 and 500, also i have good experience with Siemens S7hardware and software. at the production site i work at we also use control logix. i have a very basic idea of how all this works but i`ve had no hands on experience. as we employ a contractor to do all our control logix we have no manuals on the subject so therefore no training manuals. does anyone have the time to briefly explain control logix and RS logix 5000 and maybe give me some exercise i can do to allow me to get my head around it.

cheers

Greetings bmw apprentice ...

I have good experience ... with RS Logix 5 and 500

since you already have some experience, you might want to take a look at the PLC Quizzes on my website ... look in the “Sample Lessons” area ... each of those quizzes covers the SAME questions for RSLogix5, RSLogix500, and RSLogix5000 - and most important for your situation, the “answer/discussion” section at the end of each quiz goes into the SIMILARITIES and DIFFERENCES between the various software and hardware systems ... studying this type of material might give you a head start on tackling RSLogix5000 ...

we have no manuals on the subject

well, maybe you do ... question: do you have the RSLogix5000 software installed on any of your computers? ... if so, go to “Help” on the RSLogix5000 main menu (top of screen) and open the “Online Books” feature ... if the default installation procedures were used when setting up RSLogix5000 on your computer, then you should have thousands of pages of PDF files already handy ...

also, take a look in the “Samples” folder of the software’s “File/Open” feature ... once again, if the default installation procedure was followed, there should be a lot of short RSLogix5000 programs already loaded on your computer ... just be forewarned that some (most?) of the concepts demonstrated by those sample programs are somewhat “advanced” ... survival tip: don’t get too hung up on figuring out what they’re demonstrating before you get your feet firmly planted in the basics ...

even if you don’t have any of the material I mentioned already loaded on your computer, you can find a decent list of “must read” manuals posted on my website in the “Suggested Manuals” area ... you’ll want to concentrate on the ones that I’ve listed for course C1540 ... the “topic” descriptions and the publication numbers should be useful when you start searching on the Allen-Bradley website ... there’s so much stuff available there that it’s easy to get overwhelmed ...

good luck with your studies ... keep us posted on your progress ...

Last edited:
Cheers Ron, thats a great piece of advice. i did not realise so much information is stored with the program. also your website is very helpful. especially detailing the recommended manuals. i just havent had a proper change today to get started. i set up the rig but thats as far as i've got. if only work would wait for me....