Logging on MMC (wincc flex)

userxyz

Logging works fine...

Start Logging, Stop Logging, Close Logs, Open Logs, that's all good...

But I have the impression that after a weekend the logging doesn't work anymore untill I stopped the logging and restarted it. I also see after restarting it that there is an error (size of the file)...

After a power shut down, can the file be corrupted because of writing at a moment that they shut it of or something...

Maybe I should stop the logging automatically after 1 minute of no machine activity ??? I'm just searching for a solution...

Logs can be corrupted if you power down the HMI in the middle of logging. In the newer HMI's there is an option in the control panel to automatically repair the logs. In WinnCC flexible you also have several options for the log, Maximum number of entries and what flexible should do if you reach the maximum level.

support

Siemens Belgium and the company where we get support from are not such good helpers !!

JesperMP said:
What does Siemens Support say about it ?

One idea could be to stop and start logging automatically via the PLC, in order to reset it so to speak.

hmmm

Okay, but...
Is preventing not better then repairing ?

The thing is, if the logs are not repaired that the logging is not active, so

I prefer preventing, but can live with repairing but not with NO LOGGING...,

What should I do, stop the log by the PLC automatically like Jesper says, or is there an option that I can set somewhere like you said ?

We only work with OP277 and MP277 panels...

Bratt said:
Logs can be corrupted if you power down the HMI in the middle of logging. In the newer HMI's there is an option in the control panel to automatically repair the logs. In WinnCC flexible you also have several options for the log, Maximum number of entries and what flexible should do if you reach the maximum level.

He said "in the newer HMI's there is an option in the control panel to automatically repair the logs." Does that not sound like what you are after ?

As for preventing, maybe you can install a 24V UPS for the PLC+HMI, and when the regular 24V drops, the PLC instructs the HMI to close all log files. Or maybe not :rolleyes:

hmm

Okay, I'll try the automatically repair option.

Hmm :oops:

JesperMP said:
He said "in the newer HMI's there is an option in the control panel to automatically repair the logs." Does that not sound like what you are after ?

As for preventing, maybe you can install a 24V UPS for the PLC+HMI, and when the regular 24V drops, the PLC instructs the HMI to close all log files. Or maybe not :rolleyes:

Hmm

Jesper, Bratt,

I checked the automatic repair on (control panel win ce, under OP).

But, AND THIS IS A BIG ONE...

Repairing is not the solution I think!!!

After a power up, we get these errors of the file size, when we repair the files by clicking yes, the we have 2 chances, loosing all the data or not loosing data..., you know what I mean ?
After a power up, and repairing the files, I can see that I lost logged data, everything gone...

I have circular logging...

Maybe a have to make logs on an event base ??? Or writing files away after each hour, ... ?

Or, in worst case an UPS ??

I want to lose a minimum of data, that's my concern...

JesperMP said:

There is a function to copy the log files. You could try to set it up to baqckup the logfiles via the scheduler. It wont guarantee against dataloss though.
How does the corrupted files look like if you open them in notepad ?

Thinking

That's something that I was thinking of too, but...
you can copy corrupted files also then...

I think you gave a good argument by saying UPS...

Let's say that I buy an UPS...

Then I can do this maybe:
Buying an UPS that holds the 24V for 2 minuts or more and shutting it down in some way ?

hmm

JesperMP said:
There is a function to copy the log files. You could try to set it up to baqckup the logfiles via the scheduler. It wont guarantee against dataloss though.
How does the corrupted files look like if you open them in notepad ?

You could input the normal 24V to the PLC, and when it goes off, tell the HMI to close all logs, when it goes on, open all logs again.

But the complexity starts to be too much for something like this.
Maybe the network logging is a better idea after all.

Most of your industrial UPS's will give you an output when on battery and battery dead. You would need to take these back to the plc but it does work.

network logging

okay, but, network logging, the files will be corrupted too, I didn't test this, but it's the file that is corrupt because of the shutdown, not the MMC card !!

JesperMP said:
You could input the normal 24V to the PLC, and when it goes off, tell the HMI to close all logs, when it goes on, open all logs again.

okay

okay

CharlesM said:
Most of your industrial UPS's will give you an output when on battery and battery dead. You would need to take these back to the plc but it does work.

This morning (automatic repair) I checked the log on the panel...

It didn't log, form yesterday I have data after I stopped the lofgging and restarted it. SO I think it did an automatic repair and didn't start the logging because of this...

maybe such device:

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&lang=en&objID=10807225&subtype=133200

=?

JesperMP said: