Allen Bradley ControlLogix 5561 and IDEC HG3F via Ethernet/IP error

ml90

Hi,

I have an issue with communication settings between an Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC and IDEC Touchscreen via Ethernet/IP. Below are the components:

Allen Bradley 1756-L61 ControlLogix 5561 Controller (Rev 17.2)
Allen Bradley 1756-ENBT/A 10/100Mbps Ethernet Bridge (Rev 4.1)
IDEC HMI HG3F-FT22TF-*

The error message on the HMI is:
"Host Communication err
Error Station No:00h"

I am following the IDEC manual:
http://www.idec.com/language/english/AppNotes/ABControlLogixApplicationNotes.pdf

Has anybody had success with this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Correction

Correction:
Allen Bradley 1756-ENBT/A 10/100Mbps Ethernet Bridge (Rev 4.8)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Solution found...but need explanation

I found the solution. Firmware was not an issue. I am unsure why the following worked:

I was using a 7 slot chassis. Originally I had the ethernet card in slot 0, and the Logix Controller in slot 1. I followed the manual step by step and changed the slot numbering when I configured the communication settings. My last attempt was to switch the positions and put the Controller in slot 0 and the ethernet card in slot 1. This worked. I'm not sure why the IDEC HMI needs the controller to be in slot 0. So i tried moving the controller to slot 1 and the ethernet to slot 2. I tried a bunch of other combinations, but the only time it works is when the Controller is in slot 0. Has anybody seen this before? Also, I am wondering what will happen when I have multiple controllers in the same chassis that I want to use.

Please post your ideas!

It looks like IDEC chose the mechanism that would require the least amount of changes from their current DF1 driver; they use the PCCC object and use "PLC/SLC Mapping" so that they treat the ControlLogix like an SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix 1100 controller.

CompactLogix is always Slot 0, and most ControlLogix are installed in Slot 0, and if you send a message to an SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix 1100 to "Slot 0" then the controller will respond, so I'll bet that IDEC took a shortcut and hard-coded the last hop of the CIP path. The user manual you showed does not appear to illustrate a field in the IDEC communications configuration where a Slot number could be entered.

Excellent troubleshooting and investigation on your part !