RCP file to Control List Selector in factorytalk

NATHANP2326

i'm new here but i have a question that's been driving me nuts the last couple days.

running a micrologix 1400 and FactoryTalk View Studio ME. I have recipe configration data stored in RCP files in the PLC's program and i need to reference that data (mainly the name of each recipe stored in the data) to generate the list for a Control List Selector in an HMI display. i have never used control list selectors or RCP files before so i am at a bit of a loss here.

Edit: the plc program was written by someone else so i didn't know if there was a default string or dint that the data was written to?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I recently did something I think is similar to what you want. We got two new systems where the operator had only a numeric input to select a recipe. Here's how I added recipe names to the HMI.

The recipe name was stored as integers in one of the two (too much data for one file) recipe files. I made a third RCP file for the names only. I also created a new data file of strings. When the recipe select screens are opened, a SBR runs one time to load each recipe name to the strings file. ST13:1 is recipe 1 name and so on.

This example is a ML1400 with a PV800. There's 48 recipes and names are up to 20 characters. ST10:28 is the current recipe name. Here’s the RCP for names and where RCPs are loaded.

10BBE185-436F-489E-8CDE-0D09D6494A49.png

Screens 12 to 15 are the recipe select screens. N7:20 is the current screen from the HMI.
CF692FFE-40E8-4252-9077-C5A12AD67D9C.png

Here’s the SBR to populate recipe names. Be careful to not make an infinite loop when using JMPs.
990BD56A-F1D7-4C75-BC94-DD903B08E1E6.png

19F19692-80B0-454E-B246-8CF10D935A4C.png

An example of the HMI screens. The 0's at 1 - 48 are replaced with the recipe names from ST13:1 through ST13:48.
E3FC5EB5-BA3A-44C9-84DE-F91753631E72.png

You'll need to poke in the PLC file to see what String data file is used (ex ST13)

In FT create a Control List Selector
General Tab: give it the number of states equal to how many recipes the PLC is storing.
States Tab: You have to put the ST address in each state, so State 1 is /*S:0 {::[plc]ST13:1}*/

If you want the operator to be able to use the list to load recipes:
Connections Tab: Put in the address of the Recipe integer like {::[plc]N7:0}

Next you have to add at least 3 buttons to the HMI which are linked to the Control List selector: Up, Down, and Enter. (if you have a lot of recipes I also use Page Up and Page Down buttons).
The operator will use the up/down buttons to highlight a string which is associated with a number. When they press enter, the control list will write the number to your recipe integer. Then it's up to PLC logic to determine if the system loads that recipe or if further button presses need to be taken