handshake between allen bradley and ABB robot

backendcode

Hello Everyone, Can you guys please clear the concept of handshaking between PLC and Robots?

Let's assume very common example

A factory has a material handling application which consists of the conveyor belt and ABB robot. The part move on the conveyor belt and at the end of conveyor belt, there is ABB robot to pick up the part. When the part/product hit the sensor on the last conveyor or pickup conveyor, how ABB robot know that part is available to pick up. how PLC and abb robots share the data or information and in other words how PLC and ABB robot handshake the signal.

I tried to find the article online but can't find exactly what I am looking for to understand.

Thanks

Strangely enough we are also in the middle of a project with AB and an ABB robot.

You must have bought the Ethernet/IP comms card for the robot to hook it up with the PLC. If you have its just a case of adding in the EDS fails and everything is there, its very straight forward.

If not, then you either connect the sensor directly to the robot IO or to the PLC and out from the PLC IO to the robot IO.

The first is less hassle!

Strangely enough we are also in the middle of a project with AB and an ABB robot.

You must have bought the Ethernet/IP comms card for the robot to hook it up with the PLC. If you have its just a case of adding in the EDS fails and everything is there, its very straight forward.

If not, then you either connect the sensor directly to the robot IO or to the PLC and out from the PLC IO to the robot IO.

The first is less hassle!

So the ABB controller has IO card itself? let's say I connect my sensor to input card of PLC and wire the output card of PLC to input card of ABB controller and whenever my PLC reads a signal from the sensor, I will make my output card signal to one which is wired to input card of controller and this way I can send a signal to ABB?

Correct me If I am wrong!

Thank you for the reply!

Best