Is there a cleaner way to use 20 devices in the same Logix program?

Walks

I have 5 Ethernet devices each of which has 2-4 com ports (I'm using Devicemasters), each com port is separately tagged, i.e. D1_COM1, D1_COM2, etc...

The program is being used to collect data from each port and will be exactly the same for each device aside from changing the port tag.

Is there a cleaner way in Studio5000 to run the program separately for each device/tag without having 15+ separate routines, one for each tag in the code?

I haven't found anything and I'm not really sure how else it could be done.

I have a AB 1756-L81E

Thanks

There are ways to use only one routine. However, I would not recommend it. It would be hard to troubleshoot later. You could write everything in an AOI, with the com port as an input, and it would look cleaner in your program.

I don't know your exact application, so I am not slamming you in any way.

if this is a machine, please remember who has to maintain the equipment, maintenance. if this is the case, please write the code to where they can trouble shoot the system. you will have a lot less phone calls at 2 am.

james

As a Certified Bubba, I would would lean towards the AOI option. They are common enough now that there is really no excuse for maintenance not understanding how they work. The down side to the AOI from your side would be not being able to easily modify things later on. It can be done, but involves more effort, and usually involves taking the PLC offline to do a download.
I am not a fan of the single routine with parameters solution. You are going to find a certain percentage of maintenance people that will refuse to even look at it because it will be deemed "engineering level stuff". Right or wrong, that is just how it is.

@James
I don't know if you are looking out for my kind, or trying to keep your kind from getting woken up at 2am. Either way, I appreciate that you keep us night owls in mind.

Bubba.

Last edited:
willxfmr,

i'm just speaking from experience.
I worked for an oem for nearly 20 years as the electrical designer / programmer and as a controls guy for almost that long.

working with maintenance and finding out what they know helped a lot when writing the ladder logic.

james

Thank you all for the responses. It seems like the general consensus is to just use individual routines for each device/tag. That's what I'll go with to hopefully avoid a headache down the road.

Thanks for the help!