OT ABB Robot I/O

MartB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an ABB robot on the shop floor (IRB 6600) with a S4 CPLUS Controller cabinet and all the accompanying documents.
However, on the controller there is a Harting plug connection marked "XS5 Customer Power/Signal". I am assuming (hate to do it but have to sometimes) that this is our connection to the I/O.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this connection? I've looked through the manuals supplied and on the ABB website but couldn't find any.

I should probably point out that I know nothing about ABB robots at this time.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I cannot get an ABB tech on site for at least another week.

None of my books have any wiring for that connection. Do you know where the wiring on the backside of the connector goes? It could be for some accessory. Did anything else come with the robot?

How many pins? And what does it goto inside?

If its 4 pins.... there is a reference to a XS5 connector that is on a Welding PS, and it may be the mating plug for that accesory.

It is a 40 pin Harting plug socket, the wiring dissappears into the panel in so many different directions it's hard to say where it all goes.

There were no accessories ordered with the robot (customer ordered the robot) and there are none being fitted. According to the customer (who is always right? I think not), this is the connector for our I/O. But without a wiring diagram I'm lost, hence the reason for this post.

This particular robot simply grabs a product and presents it to an operator for work, then places it after work is completed, very basic tooling (grippers on a framework), nothing special (overkill to use a robot at all in my opinion - but customer insisted).

I'm waiting for a reply from the customer because one of the last things they said was that it's a standard order robot for them, so I'm wondering if they have them all made like this for some reason (possibly have a special arrangement with ABB).

I will update as soon as I learn anything, thanks for your help.

Mart B

Last edited:
XS5 is the connector to the customer power / customer signals. Usually this is connected over a 40 pin harting with two cables (R1.CP / R1.CS) going to the robot. These two cables are terminated at the top rear of the upper arm of the robot (R2.CP / R2.CS). But this can vary from robot to robot since this is a customer option.

XS5 is terminated at XT5 in the top part of the cabinet (inside). From there you have to make your own connections to the IOcards in the robot.

You'll find information about this connector in the Productmanual -> Manipulator -> Installation and Commissioning -> Customer connections.

Information below is only partial (all I could find right now)!

Code:
Signal name  Customer terminal   Customer contact   Customer contact on
                                 on upper arm       manipulator base

CSA          XT5.1               R2.CS.A            R1.CS.A
CSB          XT5.2               R2.CS.B            R1.CS.B
CSC          XT5.3               R2.CS.C            R1.CS.C
CSD          XT5.4               R2.CS.D            R1.CS.D
CSE          XT5.5               R2.CS.E            R1.CS.E
CSF          XT5.6               R2.CS.F            R1.CS.F
CSG          XT5.7               R2.CS.G            R1.CS.G
CSH          XT5.8               R2.CS.H            R1.CS.H
CSJ          XT5.9               R2.CS.J            R1.CS.J
CSK          XT5.10              R2.CS.K            R1.CS.K
CSL          XT5.11              R2.CS.L            R1.CS.L
CSM          XT5.12              R2.CS.M            R1.CS.M

Cheers
Borte

Thanks for the info - I'll look into it (can't find that section in the manual though ?).

One of our guys on the shop floor thinks we are missing a cable too, so that may not be helping the situation, also still awaiting a reply from the customer on connection issues.
I'll update this thread a.s.a.p.

UPDATE:

Appears we have several 'wrong cables' - this has lead to most of the confusion etc. We are now going to await some assistance from an ABB tech, hopefully later this week.

Thanks all.

Update

Ok, total confusion ensued and now we have a definitive answer! Horaah! :D

Someone at our customer site (the originators of the robot) who shall remain nameless (cos nobody will own up) decided that it was ok to ship an IRB 6600 robot with an IRB 2400 controller.:unsure:

Hence we had a complete mismatch in cable/controller configuration.o_O

All we have to do now is wait for the customer to figure out where they sent the wrong panel to and then get it to us by Friday morning ready for power up in the afternoon ! :unsure:

Thanks to all for your input, sorry it was a bit of a wasted effort.🍺

Mart B