Direct communications with AB PLC's

jrpisci

I am working with a company that wants to write code directly to AB PLC's using C++ or Java (preferred). It seems the only communication scheme available is this RSLinx C SDK package sold by Rockwell. Best we can tell (have not purchased it yet) this software contains code examples on how to develop OPC and C-API clients for "RSLinx". That means we have to buy RSLinx for every unit we wish to manufacturer that would need direct communications from the C++ or Java app. to the PLC.

Anyone else have any experience doing this? Is there code examples that exist that show us how to set up direct communications to the PLC via our software applications? We are specifically looking to communicate with the Micrologix 1100. However we would like the option of communications with other AB PLC's.

Thanks in advance.

You can write the DF1 protocol and talk to most (all?) of the AB PLCs with this protocol. The protocol is open and published on their website.

NOTE: This is certainly not the most difficult protocol out there but it is not the easiest either. If you don't have experience writing communication protocols, I would not recommend this option.

There are 3rd party .ocx's avaliable that will allow communication to the PLC's via different protocols. See Automated Solutions or the In Gear WEB sites. Using these you only pay for your programming lisense, not each compiled .exe.

If your programmers already have experience writing communication drivers, they should be able to implement either a serial or EtherNet/IP driver using the published data access methods.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/enabled/guides.html

I have had several very bad experiences with customers who rolled their own communication drivers and I've never had a user actually save money, because their software development costs are much, much higher than they estimate.

DO NOT waste your time writing direct drivers. Why re-invent the wheel? Use OPC function calls. Direct drivers are much too limited in diagnostics and are almost useless when used with ControlLogix based processors. See: http://opcconnect.com for info on programming with OPC in C++.