Just Having Fun

77nomad

I recently came across a scale slot car drag racing track used for $4500. The racer in me was like cooool. The programmer in me was like, I can make that way cheaper!

So I sat down and started about writing logic. Where I hit the wall was I don't know how to save the elapse times. I know how to set up a register and use a timer to count to 60s and add one to the register to create a run time for say a machine or motor. But this is a much higher resolution. Reaction time alone would be less than a second and measured to the thousandth. Say, I have a PEC covered and the timer starts on the green light output and times until the PEC is no longer blocked.

Later I'll need to do the same for four more sets of PECs and later use the last two to calculate MPH. Maybe I'm just too bored, maybe I have the wrong hardware. I'll probably use a Micro 1100 or a 5/03 as I have a few laying around. I know this isn't exactly a run of the mill project but it is something I can teach my kids about what dad does at work.

Any advise is always appreciated.

-Damon

A PLC with Fast DC inputs, or maybe try a high speed counter input.

Also, a PLC with a timer resolution of 0.001 seconds, unless the high speed counter input can time.

A faster PLC will help, but will always have IO and program scan time delays.

Using a high speed input card or high speed counter card will give you the best results because the hardware can capture the time data at the card - the PLC just retrieves the result afterwards.