Output PC time to PLC for time sync

russrmartin

Hey guys, do any of you know if I can and how to send the date and time from iFIX to a PLC for time stamping? Basically, if we download a new program etc, we'd like to have the 5000 write values to correct the date and time right away to sync it with iFIX again, but are not sure how to get the PC time into iIFIX so it can be written to the PLC. Thanks.

Russ

Please read the post

Peter,

Thanks for the post, but the issue is not reading or writing the PLC, it's getting the value from the PC to write? Do you know how to do this within iFIX.

Russ

How about sending a time sync bit at the same time every day to the PLC. Then in the PLC set the wallclock.

Look in your RSLogix5000 Tools folder. There should be a Logix 5000 clock update tool; you can run this as a service and it will synchronize the Logix CPU clock with the PC clock. Note: you do have to use RSLinx to configure the path to the CPU.

Clock update tool works really well. It only needs an UNLICENSED copy of Linx to work though. Its available as a free download from the Rockwell website.

It will run in the background and synch all the PLCs on the network as often as you like. I used it on a CLX network where they wanted accurate time stamps for billing and inventory. I synch once a day and it stays pretty much within 1 second.

still unclear

Thanks guys, but I'm still a little unclear. Does this tool sit on the iFIX box and write to the PLC? (That's how it sounds) Or is this something that is configured in the 5000 project?

Hi russrmartin, you dont need anything of that,if you want to get or send the date when you press a button(right click on the button->edit script

Private Sub CommandButton1_click()

Write System.CurrentDayDate,"DayVar"

'DayVar is your variable in the database when you want to save the value'
'in this case of the day, could be hour ,minutes month etc'
'copy and paste this code and should work'

End Sub

Hi russrmartin, you dont need anything of that,if you want to get or send the date when you press a button(right click on the button->edit script

Private Sub CommandButton1_click()

Write System.CurrentDayDate,"DayVar"

'DayVar is your variable in the database when you want to save the value'
'in this case of the day, could be hour ,minutes month etc'
'copy and paste this code and should work'

End Sub

Welcome to forum

Hopefully OP getted it work allmost 9 years ago