Can't connect Allen Bradley to Telemecanique

Madahbee

I have been having some difficulty setting up an Allen Bradley PLC to communicate with a Telemecanique HMI. The PLC is a CompactLogix 1769-L35E and the HMI is a Magelis XBTGT1135.

I am using RSLogix 5000 to program the PLC and using Vijeo Designer to program the HMI. I have configured in Vijeo the driver for the PLC to be the Allen-Bradley EtherNet/IP Native and the equipment to be the EIP CompactLogix-Bridge Native. This is what the help file recommends as well as the tech support.

When I create a variable in Vijeo Designer I want to link it to a tag on the PLC, this is why I am using the Native driver. Right now all I am trying to do is toggle a bit on the PLC using the HMI just to test the communication.

In the HMI setup in Vijeo I enabled data sharing and it gives a default port of 6000, I am not sure if this is correct it was just another thing I tried out to help communicate. The variables that were created in Vijeo were the data type - Discrete, Source - External, and sharing - Read/Write. The scan group is EIPCompactLogixBridgeNative and the device address is the tag name from the PLC.

When I download to the HMI is gives me the error message:
PLC returned error code. (04)
(EIPCompactLogixBridgeNative01)
Which I was told from tech support is a communication error.

I have configured the ip addresses and can ping everything successfully. I have the HMI, PLC and two laptops all connected to a switch.

When I am in RSLinx and go to RSWho I can see the ip address of the HMI but it is with a yellow question mark and it says "unrecognized device VD-EtherNet/IP" I have talked to the Allen Bradley tech support and the only thing they can suggest is if there is an EDS file for the Magelis HMI or some generic information that I can use.

I have been in contact with tech support for both the PLC and the HMI but each side thinks that their equipment should be working and it is a problem with the other side.

The only thing that I am going to look into is the EDS file, when I have searched all I can find are EDS files for Allen Bradley products.

Has anyone tried using these two devices together or at least the two sets of software? I have been attempting to get this working for a few days now but with no success. There must be something that I am missing because these two devices should talk to each other.

Thanks for your help,
-Ryan

I really like Vijeo Designer but it's been over 2 years since I've used it or RSAnything (due to job change). I was connecting the HMI to a Micrologix 1500 via RS232 at the time. That being said, I believe the EDS files are mainly used so RSLinx can identify a particular device. I don't think you need to worry about the question mark. (I could be wrong though.)

The only other thing I can suggest is to see if there is a particular format for naming variables, something like [PLCNAME]:Variable(). Seemed to me there was some trick like that to define variables, but I wasn't using the same equipment you are, and it's pretty foggy now.

Sorry I couldn't help more, and good luck :)

I use XBTGT panels but dont know anything about AB PLCs and protocol they use. I like this panel, but I think there is not a lot of people who used booth together.

Only thing why I write is to encourage you to keep up, read manuals again and try something different in configuration. Because I was many times in similar situation, stuck with some PLC without reasonable support, but I feel that there must be solution.

Madahbee,

Make sure that the tags you are trying to communicate with are in the scope of the controller. any other scope can be writen to, however it reguires a differnet "format". I had a document discribing this format, but seem to have misplaced it. Tele. tech support should be able to get you a copy if you need it.

I finally have these two devices communicating.

Thank you for your help, my problem was with the way that the tags were set up. The tags were originally set up in Task Folder in RS 5000, when I placed the tags into the controller tags file rather than the program tags file I was able to toggle them instantly.

I figured it would be just a little detail that I was missing, but I guess it takes time to figure this stuff out. I am fairly new at this, I just graduated from University this year and I have not done any PLC programming since College. I have recently started doing some again working on some water treatment plants with our Senior Tech. I'm looking forward to doing more of it.

blperkins

I will have to find out this other "format" so I can write to the other tags that are not in the scope of the controller.

Thanks for your help.

-Ryan

I found it frustrating too. I was trying to work a magellis touch screen HMI with a ML1000. Both AB and Telemec said problem was with other unit! I eventually got it to work by reading loads of pdf files etc and all the help files. I guesse I had same problem *in a way) as you; I had not done it before! It is satisfying when you sort it out though!

Madahbee,

Here is a copy of the notes I have from Tele. see page 7 for the mapping info to program tags, hope this is what you need.

blperkins,

This is the exact info I needed, thank you. You said you had to talk to Telemec. to get them to send you this directly? I wish they could provide this information a little easier to find. Also, when I was talking to the tech support they made no mention of this at all.

Are these notes specific to the Allen Bradley plc? If so would you be able to send me a copy of them?

I was speaking with someone from Schnieder to help me out with this problem. When I got back to him and explained what the problem was he told me that in the new update for Vijeo, ver. 5.0 which is coming out in Sept, one thing you will be able to do is import the tags from either the plc or RS5000 directly. By doing this it would eliminate little, but very frustrating, problems like the one that I was having.