Micro 1200

Sautokill

I am sending a micro 1200 to a remote site but the problem is the existing unit has expansion cards on it, when I load the program it goes to fault. Is there a way of being able to send it and have it be able to boot up when connected?
cheers
paul

So you are downloading a program into a Micro 1200 then sending it to a customer site? And you don't have any expansion cards right now, but there will be expansion cards in the field? Correct?

I think there is a way to Inhibit modules but I've never done this myself. See below:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/15919-slc500-how-to-inhibit-modules/

This is for SLC not Micro PLC but maybe worth a try.

But it may be risky to do it unless there is a guy at the customer site who can go online with the PLC and Uninhibit the modules later.

The I/O slot Enable/Disable feature that A_G has mentioned is specifically for SLC controllers and more info on that can be found here...

23416 - Preventing a SLC processor from faulting due to I/O mismatch
Access Level: TechConnect

For the MicroLogix controllers, there is also a specific slot Enable/Disable feature and that it is handled somewhat differently...

20291 - MicroLogix 1100/1200/1400/1500 - I/O Slot Disabling; for Commissioning, Testing or Troubleshooting purposes
Access Level: TechConnect

If you have I/O modules added to the I/O Configuration that are currently not present then you can use the "Ignore Configuration Error" for each module. This will allow the controller to go run Run Mode without the physical modules present. When at the remote site, and the modules are present, then they will need to disable this feature again for each module.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Set status bits S:1/8 Fault Override At Power-Up and S:1/9 Startup Protection Fault. This will clear the fault at power up and attempt to enter Run mode. Of course if the fault is still present (I/O not connected in this case) it will still go back to the fault state. But if everything is connected it should clear any fault and enter run.

Check your process to see if this is desirable. For some it is desirable that after a fault the system could not be cleared by just cycling power but would require someone to check the source of the fault and correct it before starting to run. It's your call.

Last edited:
Is anything required to be done here?...

Sautokill said:
I am sending a micro 1200 to a remote site but the problem is the existing unit has expansion cards on it, when I load the program it goes to fault. Is there a way of being able to send it and have it be able to boot up when connected?
cheers
paul

Bernie,

I'm now wondering if anything needs to be done here?

Sautokill,

I've read this a few times now as it's a little confusing as to what exactly it is you are trying to achieve here...

Are you saying that you are sending a replacement MicroLogix 1200 controller without expansion modules, to the site where there is an existing MicroLogix 1200 controller with expansion modules, and the new controller will then be swapped in with the expansion modules at that site?

"If" that is the case, then you should not need to do anything other than download the program, which does contain the expansion modules, and then send the controller to the site.

It will of course fault for you as you are attempting to Run the program without the expansion modules present. But once at the site, and the correct I/O Configuration is present in the program and physically present at the controller, then the program should go straight to Run Mode without faulting.

Again, if you do need to go to Run Mode for testing, before you send the controller, then you will have to inhibit each expansion module in the I/O Configuration, or else it will keep faulting - Error xx87h for module not found.

Do please clarify the situation so we can be more sure what you are looking for here. But I think between us, you should have enough to go on.

G.

I assume he is concerned that the 1200 will retain the fault state when it is powered up with modules. the fault will need to reset then it will work. I also assume the end customer has no way to reset the fault
But ya know what they say about assuming
Does the 1200 have prog run switch ???

No, no switch. The MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers have soft STOP and RUN controls via the built-in LCD display but nothing for the 1000, 1200 and 1500 controllers.

Yes, I'm seeing it clearer now - if they power down after having the controller on and faulted, then it will still be faulted when they power it up on site, even though the expansion modules will be present.

One option here is to do as Bernie has instructed and set the S:1/8 Fault Override At Power-Up bit and it should just carry on from there. A further advantage to this is that if there are any future recoverable faults, and the user does not have RSLogix 500, then they can power cycle the controller in an attempt to automatically recover from the fault.

Or...

Just download the program, that you know is correct for the site, and do not power it up. Send it to the site and let them power it up for the first time with the expansion modules present. The freshly downloaded program will have never been faulted and so should go straight to Run Mode. The disadvantage here is that if they do not have RSLogix 500, then they will not be able to automatically reset any future recoverable faults automatically. They would have to have the software.

It's up to you which suits best.

G.

Last edited:
Is there a magic clear fault procedure for the 1200 like the SCL500s

On the SCL you can move the key switch back and forth between RUN REM and PROG. this will clear some fault condition that are no longer present.
keyswitch - RUN, REMote, PROGram (clear faults)

MicroLogix 1200 and 1500: Automatically Clearing Faults
62904 | Date Created: 07/15/2009 | Last Updated: 01/11/2018
Access Level: Everyone
You can automatically clear a fault by cycling power to the controller when the Fault Override at Power-Up bit (S:1/8) is set in the status file. You can also configure the controller to clear faults and go to RUN every time the controller is power cycled. This is a feature that OEMs can build into their equipment to allow end users to reset the controller. If the controller faults, it can be reset by simply cycling power to the machine. To accomplish this, set the following bits in the status file:

S:1/8 - Fault Override at Power-up
S:1/12 - Mode Behavior
If the fault condition still exists after cycling power, the controller re-enters the fault mode.

Worst case scenario, post controller with spare laptop and Teamviewer, set up controller and get customer to post back laptop!

As I say, worst case scenario

Our top 5 customers (as in revenue > £300k per year,) have a spare laptop of ours on-site with a 'special' VM we have made them.

We even have a spare laptop for this sort of scenario to post out to people.

As long as they have an internet, all is good.

jimtech67 said:
Is there a magic clear fault procedure for the 1200 like the SCL500s...

Yes, it's what is being mentioned now the last number of posts since Bernie first drew our attention to it.

S:1/8 - Fault Override at Power-up

tarik1978 has now officially rubber stamped it (although with a quite blatant copy/paste of the technote which we really should not be doing).

I suppose though, you are kind of asking if there is a "hardware" feature to perform resets, similar to controllers with a keyswitch? The closest I could relate the S:1/8 option to being a hardware reset is that you are power cycling the "hardware" to attempt the reset. But, you do of course have to have set that bit in advance.

janner_10 said:
Worst case scenario, post controller with spare laptop and Teamviewer, set up controller and get customer to post back laptop!...

As I mentioned, if the controller is sent with the correct program downloaded to it, and it has not been powered up since that download, then there should be no need to interact with the controller, just for reseting purposes. There should be no fault requiring a reset. I'm not guessing this. It is a fact.

If you need to interact with the controller for any other reason, like further monitoring or editing of the program, then your suggestion could be one way of acomplishing that task. But it should not be anywhere near required for what we are talking about...if what we're talking about is correct. If the OP would come back and clear up exactly what they meant we can then be more sure of our suggestions.

G.

Regards,
George