Allen Bradley Programming Software etc

Can I please have some advice concerning AB programming facilities. Previously I have mainly had experience with Siemens S7 programming and I am about to leap into the world of AB.
The system I have is a boilerhouse control system with 3 SLC 5/04 CPU's joined via the DH+ comm's system.
I plan to access the system from my laptop which is a Toshiba Satellite 2590XDVD with Celeron 400 MHz processor, 64 MB RAM, 6 GB hard drive storage with 4 GB free.
My local AB supplier tells me I need the following-
RSLOGIX 500 programming software which includes RSLINX LITE.
RS232C program cable.
PCMCIA Data highway + comm's card
Companion For SLC500 Information package (recommended only, not essential).
All of this totals about OZ$7,000.00 which is quite substantial and hence I'm trying to make sure there isn't a more suitable alternative.
I would welcome any comments/advice.
Colin Atkinson

Well all you really NEED is the RSLogix and a serial cable. The other communication card and cable would be nice but are not required. Also the RSCompanion would be helpful as this PLC is new to you but still not required.

hope that helps!

OG

Thanks OG.
That sounds good to me since it more than halves the cost- I'll purchase the "bare bones" initially and find out any limitations and expand from there as necessary.
ColinA

Hi, The software is approx $1700 Aus and if you are really desperate you can make your own cable $6 Aus but I would recommend to buy the 1747-CP3 (I think that is the number) for approx $100 Aus. (I use this cable as it will do DF1 and DH485 at a later date if you require it) That will allow you to get into a processor through a serial port (off the top of my head I am not sure if you can pass thru the processor and get onto the DH+ network to access the other 2 SLCs but I dont think you can with that model). If passthru is not available then just plug into each SLC as required. The PCMIA card will allow you to connect to the DH+ network and program any SLC from the one location but they are about $2500 AUS. They are very handy if you do a lot of AB work but for a one off dont worry about it. I dont know where your supplier got $7000 from but I would be looking at a new supplier as I think he is pulling a swifty or is a bit ignorant of his own product line. Regards Alan Case

Passthru is not available if you connect into the serial port of the 5/04. You'll have to connect to each processor seperately. If you need to see all 3 processors you will have to buy the DH+ comm card.

You can always buy the PCMK later, if you feel you need it. It is a pricey item.

Talk to your distributor and enjoy the look on his face when you tell him, "I can buy a laptop for less than that!"

It is usually followed by a long pause.

Colin, Dave and others,

You CAN use the passthrough on the 5/04's to the DH+ on the serial (RS 232) port. I do this all the time. There is a couple of things you need to do to make this work:

1.) In your 5/04 program you enable the S:34/5 (DF1 Pass-through Enable bit). You have to download your program with this enabled.

2.) Set-up up RSLinx with with this Device: 1770-KF2/1785-KE/SCANport (NOT the SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView)

Auto configure in RSLinx will not work for this configuration so you have to set this up manually. This will also "pick-up" any PanelView's and PLC 5's that you have on the DH+ network if they are DH+ compatible.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Alan, Dave, Rick, Chris,
very helpful.
Alan, software cost is quoted at Oz$ 1,936- the $7K I quoted was made up of this + cable ($113), PCMCIA ($3,075), Companion disk ($1,003)- all +GST.
Chris, your advice looks very interesting- I must admit that I didn't fully understand it but as I become more familiar with the system I'm sure that it will be clearer and I'll get back to you if I need some clarification.
Thanks again,
Regards, ColinA

HI Colin

I use exclusively AB products and fully understand the “sticker” shock. I have had success purchasing PCMK cards on E-bay. They are usually available just make sure to get a series B card. The older A series can only communicate at 57.6 if you watch you can usually find a card and cable combo I have paid as little as $450.00 USD for both.

It works for me!!

Good Luck :D
Rich

BTW: I think the Companion product which is pretty good was developed in Australia then AB bought up the rights.