PLC-2 project given a go. OH NO!

Got you. Damn I wish RS Logix 500 could be use with PLC-5. Then I could get RS Logix 500 and covers all basis here and convert to PLC-5 for this machine.
What you could do is convert the PLC2 program directly to RSLogix 500 (manual conversion), then swap the PLC2s to SLC 500s. This would be a long-term project to be done in steps, so you do not disrupt the factory.

1. Convert the PLC2 programs to RSLogix 500 (or hire contractor to do it for you- maybe $500 per program depending on size).
2. Install a SLC 500 next to the first old PLC2.
3. During downtime, swap the I/O wiring over to the SLC 500.
4. Test the new program, debug, and start it up.

Last edited:
This is different than the free version right? I could of sworn RS LOGIX 500 starter is what the free version was called?

What platforms will this work with and could you give an example where online editing is a must?

Yes it is different than the free version and it is listed at $675.
I believe the free version is compatible only with the MicroLogix family processors.

9324-RL0100ENE will operate on any SLC and MicroLogix families CPUs.

Online editing is always a lot more efficient and less disruptive than the Program Mode/Edit/Download/Run sequence required by deploying software without Online editing capabilities.

9324-RL0100ENE will operate on any SLC and MicroLogix families CPUs.
But RSLogix 500 will not operate on PLC2 or PLC5. For PLC5, you need RSLogix 5 (a different package with it's own pricing).

What you could do is convert the PLC2 program directly to RSLogix 500 (manual conversion), then swap the PLC2s to SLC 500s. This would be a long-term project to be done in steps, so you do not disrupt the factory.

1. Convert the PLC2 programs to RSLogix 500 (or hire contractor to do it for you- maybe $500 per program depending on size).
2. Install a SLC 500 next to the first old PLC2.
3. During downtime, swap the I/O wiring over to the SLC 500.
4. Test the new program, debug, and start it up.

The machine is not being used and has been sitting here for over 7 months now so thats not an issue. Im trying to convince them to go with a SLC 500. Just worried about getting all the I/O consistent with the current program. I wish I could use RS LOGIX 5000 to tag my I/O and name them whats on the current print out. Thats would be sweet.

But I am going to have compare the address labels on each wire and compare it to the address in the PLC program if they are the same being that its thought to be converted to PLC-5 language and they have different adressing schemes.

Im going to have to make a table of the wire address>PLC address>Description> SLC adress. This could get confusing when rewriting the Program. Any suggestions on how to document this an easy way?

Im going to get the Program online because I need to understand a few things before I can start writing the program on my free version of RS LOGIX 500. Might as well get started now to get a head start. Luckily the PLC program doesnt have any Arithmetic based commands that I can see. But I have no idea how this works in PLC-2 and if there is programming I cant see in the print out.

Get a DropBox account and post it there; I put stuff in my Public dropbox all the time.

The fact that it's a 1771-A2B chassis is good; those could be refitted with 1771-ASB or 1771-ACNR adapters, or with PLC-5 controllers.

Check the power supply part number too, and the I/O modules.

That port on the PLC-2/15 isn't RS-232. It's a current-loop serial port, something specific to the PLC-2. The most modern interface for it is the 1784-PCMK with 1784-PCM2 cable, or what was called a "Smart Cable" for the AI-2 software. Most third party programs have gone the "Smart Cable" converter route, as you may have found from your research.

There was a PLC-2 to RS-232 converter module that was slot-mounted, too... I don't remember the name. But it definitely didn't have an RS-232 port on the controller itself.
The I/O modules are 1771-IAD ans 1771-OAD. SO I would need this PCMK Card for PLC-2 or PLC-5 connection with my Laptop? I also have and old Laptop with 98 and a RS 232 port.?

Can you shed light on the Dip Switch and EEPROM question. And which PLC-5 Processor would I need to switch out the PLC-2? There are some on ebay for $100-$15000.00. Seems just a tad odd for such a price difference. Is there only a specific series that I would need?

Last edited:
Heres the program. 2 things off the bat I dont understand is the --(MCR)--- and ---(ZCL)---. I know that MCR is Master Control RElay but is this a command in PLC-2 language and why do I not see it anywhere else?

Also all the numbers under the outputs. Are these just references to what other rungs that output is used in and is just for descrptive purposes?

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Burroak%20Program.PDF?w=3ddf53fc

Last edited:
6200 is older PLC5 software .....it cannot be used with PLC2.
There is no drag and drop.

It is DOS based software using F1-F12 funtion keys, although
it will run in a Windows environment. There is no software that
can be used for both PLC2 and PLC5.

Even the smallest PLC5/11 (1785-L11B) has more memory and I/O capability than
the mini PLC2/15.

All PLC5 processors have a channel O port which can be used for serial
communications, to upload, download, & program online. cable 1756-CP3

Here is some light shed on dip switches and other stuff.

http://www.mason-grey.com/Documents/Updating the AllenBradley PLC2.pdf

All PLC5 processors have a channel O port which can be used for serial
communications, to upload, download, & program online. cable 1756-CP3

Not exactly. All "Enhanced" PLC5's have a serial ports. The "Classic" PLC5/10, 5/12 ,5/15 and 5/25 have DH+ and RIO ports only.

If the OP is looking on E-bay the very cheap ones may be the "Classic" version.

The machine is not being used and has been sitting here for over 7 months now so thats not an issue. Im trying to convince them to go with a SLC 500.

Personally, i would try to stay away from converting to a SLC500 if possible. Allen-Bradley is trying to phase out the SLC500 products by constantly driving up the prices higher and higher. I'd go the micrologix 1100 or 1400 route. The PLCs and cards are significantly cheaper, so if you build up a price list and let management know you won't have to buy any extra software, they may be willing to listen.

If you already have RSLogix5000, using a compactlogix would also be nice, especially if you need I/O cards that the micro1400 doesn't supports or more I/O than it supports. If a micrologix1400 doesn't have enough I/O AND you don't have RSLogix5000, then i would go with the SLC.

I would make converting to a PLC5 my third to last available option. Second to last would be finding a new job, and my last would be using the PLC2 (while i found a new job).

Last edited:
I agree with Helliana, and want to make another suggestion, I don't think was mentioned.

Rockwell now offers a "chassis" that lets you put a Logix PLC with cable connectors into a PLC 5 I/O chassis and keep the swingarms and wiring. This would be slicker than hogsnot during the changeover. It could shave the power down time to as little as minutes, as well as eliminate the potential for errors as compared with any other method which involves wire for wire rewiring. It won't be cheap, I am sure, but it would be a sure fire way to leapfrog to current technology with the least effort and risk.

EDIT: This Link

Last edited:
I agree with Helliana, and want to make another suggestion, I don't think was mentioned.

Rockwell now offers a "chassis" that lets you put a Logix PLC with cable connectors into a PLC 5 I/O chassis and keep the swingarms and wiring. This would be slicker than hogsnot during the changeover. It could shave the power down time to as little as minutes, as well as eliminate the potential for errors as compared with any other method which involves wire for wire rewiring. It won't be cheap, I am sure, but it would be a sure fire way to leapfrog to current technology with the least effort and risk.

EDIT: This Link
Someone mentioned this but money is a huge issue here. And it would be way cheaper to put a new system in vs the cost of all the conversion modules. I looked into it but it is slick. By the way I have 48 inputs and 32 Outputs. Im not sure what the limits are for Micrologix but SLC 500 experience is what Im after because most jobs ask for knowledge of this. Control Logix would be great but that is not going to happen here.

The I/O modules are 1771-IAD ans 1771-OAD. SO I would need this PCMK Card for PLC-2 or PLC-5 connection with my Laptop? I also have and old Laptop with 98 and a RS 232 port.?

Can you shed light on the Dip Switch and EEPROM question. And which PLC-5 Processor would I need to switch out the PLC-2? There are some on ebay for $100-$15000.00. Seems just a tad odd for such a price difference. Is there only a specific series that I would need?

Ken would I need this PCMK Card?