QuickPanel 3.70 and XP Pro

dwilson

I have finally gotten my hands on a quote for QP 3.70, but the supplier has cautioned us that it is not compatible with Windows XP (Xycom distributor).

Currently, all of our programming laptops run XP Pro. I could do without the hassles of setting up Win2K, just for/because of QP.

Does anyone have any specific knowledge of what the problems are, and if there are any workarounds (VMware, perhaps?). I expect, if the fix was simple, the supplier would have told us about it.

Thx
DW

It's been my experience that QP 3.7 will work for XP; previous versions do not.

Your problem will be that QP 3.7 is not compatible with the new QPI-CTAE-0000 (ethernet capable) units; only QPI-21100-C2P and QPI-31200-C2P, which have been discontinued.

For the new type (QPI-CTAE-0000), you will need Proficy ME or something like it. It still uses the standard QP interface cable (unlike the Windows CE units), but it will not complete a file download.
At least it won't for me. I'm still in the process of converting my files over from 3.7 to Proficy View. If you haven't done so, the clock is ticking.

RussB said:
QuickDesigner 3.7 will work with QPxCxDExxxx QuickPanels from GE Fanuc.

Yep. That's what my book says too.

My statement is based on purely empirical data. It DOESN'T work for me. My files will not complete a load from QP 3.7 to QPxCxDExxxx. When I converted the files to Proficy, they will.

I will concede that most of my screens were created in 95, so that would put them in the QP 2.0 vintage, but they have converted (by me) and reparsed and have worked for every version since and if I load them to the other two models that I mentioned (QPI-21100-C2P and QPI-31200-C2P), they still work. There was a change in the new version of Quickpanels that makes them "not old program friendly". The new models really like Proficy View, alot!

That's all I'm saying. YMMV.

Last edited:
Russ, I believe you sent/posted some info for me a while back. This is a (possible) new issue (do they ever stop? arrgghh!). The local Proface/Xycom distributor cautioned us about XP being an incompatible operating system.

I've got enough cranky stuff around here, never mind the machinery. I think I'm going to call Xycom first....

I have QD 3.7 with Special 4, I run this on Windows XP with all the latest (except IE7) updates without problems. If you have a problem it is most likley some other software blocking access to the serial port or you may need to right-click each executable file in the 'C:\Quick' directory and tell WinXP to use 'Compatability Mode'.
FYI, it does NEED to be in the 'C:Quick' directory.
You can get QD 3.7 Special 4 at:
http://globalcare.gefanuc.com/
or
http://207.153.46.3/

Does QuickDesigner work correctly on a freshly booted XP system? Do you have McAfee installed? If so, this matches a problem that I had. There are add-ons to IE7 from McAfee. After running IE7 and actually opening a web page, starting Quick Designer would hang at the splash screen requiring removal to stop running.

To fix this, I just used the IE7 tools add-ons management to disable the McAfee add-ons. There are four of them. Once I disabled the add-ons and rebooted, QuickDesigner ran correctly.