How bad is it really?

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I keep hearing all this talk about how bad the economy is and how tight things are. The media keeps pounding it into our heads over and over again. I've seen quite a few companies blame their failures on it.

In reality, it just isn't matching up to what I am seeing with my own eyes. For one, I have been nothing but exceedingly busy for quite some time now. And that continues to trend upwards every year.

It's not just me. Most of the other places around are also very busy. Seems like everyone is backlogged. I would love to hire more, but quite frankly anyone in the area who doesn't have a job is unemployed for a good reason. Companies have been hoarding cash for a few years now and are spending on their future regardless of any larger scale economic forecasts.

Everthing I am seeing leads me to believe Manufacturing and Automation are both trucking along quite well.

What gives? Are things really that bad are am I just very fortunate? Seems more like just the typical election year nonsense than anything else. Most of those still around who had to live through the great depression probably find this all quite commical.

much the same here it also seems mech. parts such as gear boxes ect... are back logged as well as enclosures

It depends on what you are doing and where you are The unemployment rate here is 9.3%. In the next county over the unemployment rate is 10.4% and these numbers are probably low due to people just giving up. It is hard for the small businesses that are depending on the local population. Since we sell all over we are not as affected by the local unemployment rate.

California still has an unemployment rate of 10.8%.
This data is current as of 15 Jun 2012.

Most of us will be lucky and have job since we create wealth.

Most of us will be lucky and have job since we create wealth.

I agree, in our line of work if we are good then we can save the company or make a company money with our products and/or service

I have had two of my customers (system integrator) ask if I knew anyone looking for work just last week

That said the last two months for me have been a little on the slow side

Factory automation is booming. It is the poor slobs that used to depend on factory assembly-line type of work that are out of work, and will stay out of work from now on through no fault of their own.

Factories are being rebuilt to use almost no workers, just a few maintenance and technicians to keep the equipment running. That is progress and it will only keep going down the same road. In a few more years, the robots will be doing a lot of the cleaning and maintenance work also. Already, I see factories being built with very few lighting fixtures. Why bother, when the machines do not need good lighting to run the factory? The light fixtures in automated warehouses are being removed, or switched so that they only come on when the automated forklift is in that area.

and i will choose the red pill
no wait the blue pill. damn these decisions. bahaha

no seriously, i left my last employer due to a shortage of work. and then i worked a shift at 1 location for my new employer, and they were running out of work ,so im at another location now. and apparently canada is supposed to be doing the best. so really, i dont get it either. i mean everything is all wonky. i know i wont be out of work, cause like you said the good ones stay busy, and the unemployed ones are not working for a reason. i dont like job hopping, but i gain experience where i can. lol

Last edited:
The place I work has really slowed down. We've had one round of layoffs and at the end of next month there will be another round of layoffs unless business turns around. In maintenance, our overtime has been drastically reduced despite the fact that we COULD be upgrading or fixing our older stuff.

With all that being said, I think it really just depends on what you do and where you live.

Economy on downturn

Here in India , Automation people are having so much work, but no money coming in. New projects launched , being commissioned but money not exchanging hands. That way we may say it is really bad.