US wire color 115VAC question

I get confused when timryder says that 3x480V it is all black in US and that BOY is european standard. Then Automax says BOY is the US standard for 3x480V

Bottom line, BOY is US standard. Larger conductors can be taped?

Typically it's acceptable to tape conductors larger than #6 AWG. Tape is applied at all terminations or splices.

Yes, larger conductors (feeders) can be taped with B/O/Y tape to indicate phasing.
Normal on this side of the pond!
You buy large conductors on reels and end up taping the ends accordingly.

Hi!

I'm going to build a cabinet for US in IEC standard but we change the colors to the customer demand. It's supplied with 3x480VAC and I use a transformer to 115VAC. Normally I would use two colors for 115V, one for the phase and one for the neutral. But they have specified:

115V HOT = Black
115V NEUTRAL = White
115V CONTROL = Red

I'm not familiar with the term HOT. Normally I would use white and red here but what cables are HOT cables?

Thanks /Tim

To the best of my knowledge, code only demands color codes for the ground wire and the neutral wire in a single phase 120 VAC circuit. Black wire is typically used for voltage source wires, while other colors are typically used for control circuits.

The standard that I have most often encountered for 3 phase wiring is BK/OR/YL for 480 VAC circuits and BK/RD/BU for 240 VAC circuits, and this choice typically represents a client's preference.

Last edited:
Here is the wording in NFPA 79, the standard for industrial machinery control systems.

14.2.4 Identification by Color for Other Conductors.
14.2.4.1* Ungrounded circuit conductors that remain energized
when the supply disconnecting means is in the off
position shall be consistently applied as either ORANGE or
YELLOW. These color identifications shall be strictly reserved
for this application only.
Exception No. 1: Internal wiring on individual devices purchased
completely wired.
Exception No. 2: Where the insulation used is not available in the colors
required (e.g., high temperature insulation, chemically resistant
insulation).
14.2.4.2 Where color is used for identification, the color shall
be used throughout the length of the conductor either by the
color of the insulation or by color markers.
Exception: Multiconductor cables shall be permitted to be permanently
reidentified at the time of installation.
14.2.4.3 The use of other colors for the purpose of identification
shall be as follows:
(1) BLACK for ungrounded line, load, and control conductors
at line voltage
(2) RED for ungrounded ac control conductors at less than
line voltage

(3) BLUE for ungrounded dc control conductors
Exception No. 1: Internal wiring on individual devices purchased
completely wired.
Exception No. 2: Where the insulation used is not available in the
colors required (e.g., high temperature insulation, chemically resistant
insulation).
Exception No. 3: Where multiconductor cable is used and other
means of permanent identification is provided.
Exception No. 4: Where the identification of machine power and
control wiring is such that compliance with the mandatory color codes
is too restrictive for specific applications, it shall be permitted to use
additional identification at selected locations as an alternative. This
means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding,
marking tape, tagging, or other approved means and shall be
permanently posted on the inside of the main electrical control panel
enclosure in a visible location.
Prior to this section were sections describing grounded current carrying conductors (Neutral) being White and groundING conductors being Green or Green/Yellow.

Phase color indication for power circuits varies by region, although BOY is pretty much the defacto standard for FIELD wiring. But keep in mind that unlike IEC world, we have MULTIPLE versions of 3 phase power configurations and that means different color schemes. 208Y120, 240/120 3 phase 4 wire, 240V 3 phase 3 wire Delta, 480Y277V, 480V 3 wire Delta, 600V 3 wire Delta and 600Y347V. Each has it's own color scheme and some local utilities require different color schemes from others. As a general rule, when building control panels, I leave all of the power leads black and unmarked, it's irrelevant until it is connected anyway.

Last edited:
This confuses me abit:

So yellow or orange shall be strictly reserved for conductors that remain energized when the supply is off. But then again the 3x480V is supposed to be black orange and yellow. It doesn't add up or do i interpret this wrong?

Last edited:
This confuses me abit:

So yellow or orange shall be strictly reserved for conductors that remain energized when the supply is off. But then again the 3x480V is supposed to be black orange and yellow. It doesn't add up or do i interpret this wrong?
Hence not marking the phase conductors INSIDE of a control panel.

Brown, Orange, Yellow is a common method for designating the conductors of a three phase system in the US. It is NOT required by the US national electrical code, which governs premises and building installations which does not include industrial machines.

NFPA 79 contains requirements for industrial machines, including industrial control panels.

Outside the panel (off the machine), Brown, Orange, Yellow may be used to permanently identify ungrounded conductors. Inside the panel, Black shall be used to identify ungrounded conductors (at line voltage). Yellow or Orange shall be used only for ungrounded conductors that remain energized when the supply disconnecting means is in the off position.

What your customer is asking for is not consistent with US codes.

Brown, Orange, Yellow is a common method for designating the conductors of a three phase system in the US. It is NOT required by the US national electrical code, which governs premises and building installations which does not include industrial machines.

NFPA 79 contains requirements for industrial machines, including industrial control panels.

Outside the panel (off the machine), Brown, Orange, Yellow may be used to permanently identify ungrounded conductors. Inside the panel, Black shall be used to identify ungrounded conductors (at line voltage). Yellow or Orange shall be used only for ungrounded conductors that remain energized when the supply disconnecting means is in the off position.

What your customer is asking for is not consistent with US codes.

Thanks for clarification! So to sum this up I'll use the following inside the cabinet:

3x480vac supply - all black
120vac hot - black
120vac neutral - white
120vac control - red
Voltage when supply off - yellow or orange
24vdc - dark blue
0vdc - darkblue/white
Protective earth - yellow/green or is it green?

Is this end of discussion? 😁😁

The 120V Hot black bothers me. We're I to go into that panel, I would assume that to be 480V and disconnected by the Main. For example, the 480V conductors feeding the primary of a control power transformer should be black. I don't know where that "120V Hot = black" came from, that's totally foreign to me and I would say most industrially trained electricians. In fact I still don't understand what it means in this context. If it is derived from the CPT it should be red, if it comes in from somewhere else it should be yellow or orange.

The only thing I can think of is that if you have a panel where 120V is the HIGHEST voltage coming into the panel, i.e. controls only, no 480V or 240V power, then IT (120V) becomes the "line voltage" and would be black.

Could it just be a typo that should have been 480V = Black???

Maybe an someone writing the final spec made a slight (365 volt) mistake

I don't know either, and they don't know how the cabinet are designed.
But in some of our control panels we have both 480V and 120V supply that is disconnected by a 6 pole main breaker. So in this case both 480V and 120V would be "line voltage"? Thus making the 120V black?

We use either BROWN ORANGE YELLOW for 480V or black wire with a label L1,L2,L3. White is used for the neutral. Red is used for 110V control voltage, but we use black if we need wire larger than a 16AWG, with a label. This way we only have to stock 3 reels of black, 1 reel of white, and 1 reel of green of 14, 12, and 10 AWG wire.

We stock lots of different colors of 16AWG for control wiring, but only black, white, and green for larger gauges.

I don't know either, and they don't know how the cabinet are designed.
But in some of our control panels we have both 480V and 120V supply that is disconnected by a 6 pole main breaker. So in this case both 480V and 120V would be "line voltage"? Thus making the 120V black?

Yes, in this way the 120V line powered items would be black, but after a circuit breaker or MCR that supplies the control system its power the wires would be red.