RSView32 on DH+ is very slow!, How to improve the system?

bundhit

Hi guys,
As above topic,
I use RSview32 version 6.4 connect to ten
PLC-5/40 on the networks (There are ten direct drivers
in RSView32). Scan class is set as default (Fore ground: 1.0
Back ground: 5.0). I have upgrade the computer by adding RAM to
750MB but the communication speed is still slow (notice from
the value display on screen).

PS:Computer spec: Pentium4 3.0 GHz, with PKTX card
Windows XP SP2

Thank in advance

First off, have you had the DH+ network certified, or at the very least gone into the dh+ diagnostic files in any of the devices on the network to see if the traffic is having trouble (retrys,etc). Are all nodes properly terminated? I've seen where a small bucket hung blue hose to catch a leak took out half the communication efficiency.

How much messaging is occurring between the different components, in other words, is there too much traffic?

I agree with jstolaruk that it is most likely to be in the DH+ side .

Something else to check, go to windows task manager and see if the processor is running sweet because if you have a dual processor and one locks up the other is left to navigate around it and some tasks slow up big time.

Windows XP SP2, needs to be professional
Please supply RSLinx Ver

bundhit said:
... (There are ten direct drivers in RSView32)...
This could be part of the problem.
OPC via RSLinx is, I believe, the recommended method.
Converting the database could take some time.

Thanks to all comments,

I rechecked DH+ network and tested the speed by deleting the direct driver one by one.
I found that the speed was accepted when direct driver was less than four drivers.
(I noticed sec. value from the PLC. It was real time.) In the other hand, the sec. value
would leap when I used direct driver more than 4 units.

May I conclude the number of direct diver affects to the speed of value update?

Whether I use too much direct driver with RSview32 or not.
In normal case, What the number of direct driver should be?

In case I cannot use OPC, I need to use direct drivers.
Are there any way to improve?

PS. I can open each screen faster when I add more RAM.
I use RSLinx classic V2.4, Windows XP Professional SP2.
Total external tag in RSView32 are around 1,500 tags.

Sawatdee Krap Bundhit.

Maybe the number of drivers isnt the issue, but the number of tags and/or stations is.
When you disable or remove the drivers so that you only have 4, then I suppose that the tags that are connected to the drivers are also disabled. And if the RSView32 PC is the one that generates all the traffic, then by disabling the drivers you have actually reduced the traffic. I'll bet that this is reason for the improvement you see.

1500 tags are neither trivial nor exceptional.
If the tag addresses are scattered around, then even 1500 tags can be a problem.

Some things you can possibly do:
Checck diagnostics in RSLinx. If there are too many retries, it can indicate problems on the DH+ net.
If possible, group tag addresses together in large blocks.
Increase the background scan from 5 to 20 seconds.
Increase baudrate to 230k.
Split the DH+ network into 2 by adding another PKTX card.