Panelview Plus and PLC5 over DH+

Vetteboy

I have been maintaining Panelview Plus terminals connected over ethernet for a few years and now would like to added a PV+ to a DH+ network. I have the comm card added and the driver configured.

I am hitting a wall with setting up my HMI tags, alarm tags, etc. Nothing seems to work. I know I'm missing something easy. I am starting from scratch and when I try to create a tag I expect to drill down to the PLC and specify a table, but instead the software locks up looking for something I obviously haven't configured.

Does anyone out there have a quick cheat sheet on doing this? I am digging through the manual but it is very slow and painful.

Thanks!

I never had much success "digging down" to create tags - but ethernet tags and DH+ tags amount to the same thing - you just need to change the device configuration in RsLinx enterprise. If you do and test your application over ethernet, you can change your PLC connection from ethernet to DH+ and will work. (sorry - not sitting in front of factorytalk to see exactly how to set up DH+ connection).

Do I have to import my tags from RSLogix5 first? I keep thinking I have it set up, but I can't get the panelview to react to changes in the PLC yet. I think I must be using the wrong syntax to address the PLC from RSView. I should add that the PLC 5 has no ethernet connection, unlike all the others we have that are connected to PV+.

Well, PLC5 doesn't have tags - so you wouldn't be able to import them. The data tables are directly accessible so say you want a button to turn on a bit, there are two ways you can do it. One is to create a tag in FactoryTalk that references a PLC5 bit then reference the tag with the button, the other is to have the button directly access the PLC5 bit.

I never used tags in PV+ because all of my applications were custom and keeping the extra "layer" out of it made it easier to build and debug my apps. Tags are defenitely a good thing - but i would recommend keeping them out of it for the moment because it makes it easier. So your expression may look like this

::[MyPLC5]B3:0/1

I had a helk of a time learning that "::" bit at the beginning. All it means is that "look out, there's a : in the following, just roll with it".
If you know how to create an ethernet connection to MyPLC5 in RsLinx enterprise get that working first, you won`t have to change the above when making the connection to DH+. The experiment with enterprise to make it DH+.

Now...SOMETIMES...stuff doesn`t work in FactoryTalk for no apparent reason (maybe it`s better now, haven`t used it in a year). I really like AB and FactoryTalk - but my rule was if I was pretty sure something I changed was correct, but it wasn`t working properly in the application, I would reset, still no good - redownload, still no good - reset, still no good - redownload, still no good reset. I wrestled with this and RSLinx Enterprise in the early days.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Just reread your second post. If you are infact using RsView instead of factorytalk you may have to ignore most or all of the above. I believe PV+ used RsView before RsView `became` factorytalk back in version 3 or 4 but i can`t speak to the similarities between the two. What version / software are you using?

Thanks, Sinc for the info. I may be having trouble with making sure the MyPLC5 reference is set up in RSView properly. Also, I am having issues getting version 6.0 of Factorytalk working, so I'm using V4.0 on another machine. I guess that could be the problem as well. So many variables to consider I guess.....

I have one of those horrible abortions here (PV+ to PLC5 via DH+ and ControlLogix via Ethernet). It was truly a pain in the butt, and expensive. In the end, I just copied the data in the 5 to a single data table, and messaged the whole mess up to the Logix processor, and read it over Ethernet from there.

Hi guys, thanks for the help. I came into work early, calmly sat down with no distractions, mapped the PLC in RSLinx Enterprise, set up alarm triggers, tested and it works.

{::[EXAMPLEPLC5]N7:10,L5}