Anyone know a Class 1 Div 2 Ethernet Switch Rated to -40C?

elmatador

HI there,

I have run into a situation where I need to place a switch in a junction box. However, our weather conditions are pretty severe in the winter. I need a switch that can handle -40C. The issue that came up is that the electricians were supposed to run cat5 cables directly from one building to another. What they did was that they ran it into a JB and then ran another set of Cat5 from the JB to the building.

Without the switch is it okay to just jumper the Cat5 wires via a terminal block. It just seems shoddy doing it this way. So I was thinking of using a switch. I usually use N-tron switches, but they only go down to -20C.

Let me know what you guys think.

I have an N-Tron 105-TX Din rail mount switch right in front of me rated Class 1 Div 2 with an operating temp rating of -40 C to +80C. Should do the trick. The switch will also help if your run is rather long.

Thanks guys. Checked with my local distributor and he's got the N-tron and not the siemens. That will do.

Nice to know about the Siemens as well.

Don't they make an inline coupling for those? Like a female to female?

They do make them. I have one in my laptop bag to extend ethernet patch cables if I need to. I don't know how reliable they are in every day use. A question to ask is how far are the buildings apart? Twisted pair Ethernet has a 100m segment length limit.

Not to stick my nose in here too much, but you will be feeding this switch from a power supply that is identified (or listed or approved) for Class I Division 2 and correctly Installed & wired for the area classification, right ?

I would guess he has 24VDC right in his JB.

It's not good to guess when dealing with classified areas.:oops:

Having 24vdc available does not interest me. Where it comes from, and being wired correctly, in a Class I Division 2 environment, is the question. You cannot just grab it from 'some where'.

The electricians accidentally pulled a two conductor cable for the RS-232 communications.
Are these the same electricans tha pulled the wrong wire? sounds to me like you need a new electrical contractor!!!! again why dont you just have them do it RIGHT!! safety is nothing to jack around with!!!

sigh..Yes its the same electricians. You couldn't imagine how much **** I have had to deal with. They are quite green. I am out in the boonies So procuring things take forever. They don't have enough length on the extra teck cat5 cables So it will have to be ordered. While I am waiting I am just going to use a female to female coupler. Dropped the switch idea. They will have the cables in a weeks time.

Annon99', I think you are over-thinking or mis-understanding class 1 div 2. You can have voltages present all over the place if they are in terminal blocks and not a device. Once you introduce the device, you present the spark potential (ignition source), and that device has to be rated.