A/B Ultra3000 Digital Servo Drive E05 fault

Unless it was programmed poorly, should get a position error fault LONG before heating up and overtripping due to trying to drive to position. I'm in the camp that if it has started happening it's a cabling issue...If it's happened since inception, it's a tuning issue. Also, without knowing the mechanics of this system, if the system is parked such that there are forces on the system acting against zero position (think trying to hold a flapper valve open against gravity), then the motor could certainly heat up trying to hold position.
The position error could be inside the PE tolerance and still be attempting to move - very similar to holding against gravity.

Is there a CN1 break-out board on the end of the cable between the servo and the drive? We just encountered a similar problem. Changing drives and servo motor didnt help - turned out to be the break-out board. If memory serves me, there's a capacitor, diode and resistor as well as a terminal strip inside the case.

The position error could be inside the PE tolerance and still be attempting to move - very similar to holding against gravity.

Thanks Gerry - I did not work today because of heavy snow last night.

This Servo Motor dispenses a sealer applied to the bottom of car body. I think the pressures are 1400 to 1500 psi. So how would correct this if it was a problem? Is the Positional Error tolerance a parameter that can changed/adjusted?

Is there a CN1 break-out board on the end of the cable between the servo and the drive? We just encountered a similar problem. Changing drives and servo motor didnt help - turned out to be the break-out board. If memory serves me, there's a capacitor, diode and resistor as well as a terminal strip inside the case.

rguimond, I am not sure what a CN1 break-out-board is but will search for information on Internet. Is this something that is easy to see and identify? If you could please explain what it is. Thanks.

If you look on the front of the drive there is a large 44-pin D-sub jack; this is port CN1 and contains all the discrete I/O connections. In most applications you need to access the individual pins, so a breakout board is attached to CN1 which has terminal blocks and allows individual connections to be made.

It's rare but I have seen breakout boards go bad. But I'm not sure how this could be the source of an E05 error, since the motor and encoder are connected elsewhere.

Thanks Gerry - I did not work today because of heavy snow last night.

This Servo Motor dispenses a sealer applied to the bottom of car body. I think the pressures are 1400 to 1500 psi. So how would correct this if it was a problem? Is the Positional Error tolerance a parameter that can changed/adjusted?

rguimond, I am not sure what a CN1 break-out-board is but will search for information on Internet. Is this something that is easy to see and identify? If you could please explain what it is. Thanks.

Search Allen-Bradley 2090-U3CBB-DM12 CN1

If you look on the front of the drive there is a large 44-pin D-sub jack; this is port CN1 and contains all the discrete I/O connections. In most applications you need to access the individual pins, so a breakout board is attached to CN1 which has terminal blocks and allows individual connections to be made.

It's rare but I have seen breakout boards go bad. But I'm not sure how this could be the source of an E05 error, since the motor and encoder are connected elsewhere.

Good info. I do not think we have a breakout board (but I'm not positive) and I will check now I know what to look for.

Search Allen-Bradley 2090-U3CBB-DM12 CN1

Im going to search Allen-Bradley 2090-U3CBB-DM12 CN1 right now to see what I can learn. Thanks guys.

I just read back over your posts and saw that you are using the DeviceNet version of the drive. In this case there may not be anything connected to CN1 since all the I/O signals are over the fieldbus. Sometimes CN1 is still used to provide a connection for a hardware enable signal, in which case you would see a breakout board with only a few wires connected.

Ultra3000 Drives on DeviceNet

I just read back over your posts and saw that you are using the DeviceNet version of the drive. In this case there may not be anything connected to CN1 since all the I/O signals are over the fieldbus. Sometimes CN1 is still used to provide a connection for a hardware enable signal, in which case you would see a breakout board with only a few wires connected.

Yes, all 8 Ultra3000 Digital Servo Drives are on Device Net networks. I can look at all the parameter settings of any Drive using RSNetWorx software. My problem is I have a very very limited understanding of what they are and how to use them. Maybe I should never tinker with them? I don't know but I am very curious. As of now I will leave them all alone unless someone more knowledgeable can make some suggestions.

Ultra 3000 drives

Hello,

I had the same problem some months ago and I'd like to know if you guys found a cause? I my case I've switched the drive with other motors to confirm if there was a cable issue but the error persisted in the drive.

Thanks

Last edited: