Proficy ME button text

timryder

I know this seems... stupid... because it is.

How on earth can you wrap text or do multi-line on a standard button control with Proficy Machine Edition. See the attached.

My text doesn't wrap around to the next line, and there is no little 3dots button to expand a text editor. Please someone tell me there's a way to do that without having to use a Text control on top of a button control.

Proficy.jpg

Frustrating, I know, but you'll have to leave the button text blank and create multiple text objects to place on the button.
I've tried the ALT codes and I've tried copying and pasting multi-line text from a MS Word document without success.
Copying and pasting from MS Word does work for things like subscripts and superscripts, so if you want to include symbols like
°C in your text that's a way to do it.
I'm not familiar enough with Factory Talk so I'm not sure what the equivalent to their Global Objects (if there is one) would be in Proficy View.
In my opinion GE deliberately left a lot of features out of Proficy View to make Cimplicity a more attractive choice. They added a few features to what was available from the Total Control Products Quick Panel line when they acquired that and then nothing more with subsequent versions of PME.

Last edited:
My God... pretty much every cheap HMI product has these simple features. This is a very expensive licensed product, I'm very disappointed.

Regardless.

Global Object, are like... if you were to create an awesome little panel which had a grouping of buttons and indicators labels shapes etc, and you wanted to reuse it on multiple screens. For example, the navigation footer or header. You would need only to modify the Global Object and all the others which used that global object would reflect the changes. Does this thing exist?

I use Simplicity, not Proficy for graphic editiing, but are you able to right click on the button object and select Properites, instead of merely trying to use the Inspector for the edits?
In Simplicity there is a "Mulitline" checkbox on the Text Button "tab" of a window opened by Properties.

<<EDIT: Then I read Steve Bailey's post -- if he doesn't know how to do it natively, it probably can't be done>>

Last edited:
Can you link me to "Simplicity" Not sure what that is.
It'd be nice to have an alternative.

EDIT: Nevermind.. "Cimplicity" isn't compatible with the GE Quickpanel+ hardware HMI i have. Gotta do it through PME and grind it out.

Last edited:
Uneducated WAG: Try the pipe symbol to force a line break. This works in Crimson and a couple of other apps I have used over the years.

Pipe symbol is shift+\
"|"

Yeah sadly I think it's hopeless... I've had to just bite the bullet and do everything the extended and hard way.

Just a lot more work than most other HMI products I've seen. Lots of little labels and Panels that all have to be layered just so. Should have charge Time and Materials when they MADE me use this thing.

Annotation 2020-02-07 150532.jpg