Blue Hose to Ethernet

Are you looking for a media converter (simply using CAT5e or CAT6 cable to extend an existing DH+ or RIO network) or something to also convert the protocol (to Ethernet/IP)?

Not looking to convert the protocol, just looking to use an existing blue hose that was previously used for RIO to connect two points, similar to using fiber to copper converters but with the blue hose instead.

So you're looking to connect 2 Ethernet devices (like a switch, PLC or computer) together using an existing blue hose run?

That is a rare use case - that Prosoft module you linked to MIGHT have worked. I think it has some "smarts" inside the module that might only pass Ethernet/IP traffic through the blue hose.

Also I suspect that this solution would have been pretty expensive, in the thousands of dollars. Is there a possibility of using the existing blue hose to pull some CAT6?

Wouldn't a pair of industrial ethernet extenders do the job, they will even work over 'Plain Old Telephone System' cable.
https://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb/fi/1570/13477/Industrial-VDSL2-Bridge/

That probably would work, but we just made the call to abandon this idea. We were originally going to run a new fiber cable to replace the RIO but it was going to be a difficult run, but the blue hose will create too much of a bottleneck I think so we’re going to do the fiber anyways.

Thanks everyone for the answers, appreciate it as always!

I've seen some Siemens devices that have a VD option (variable distance). Instead of the more common copper or fiber as the Ethernet medium, it lets you use 2 wire serial cables. That's using it in the context of plugging the cable into a switch, I don't know if they have straight media converters.

If you have a network switch with SFP ports, one of the SFP options might be something similar.

That probably would work, but we just made the call to abandon this idea. We were originally going to run a new fiber cable to replace the RIO but it was going to be a difficult run, but the blue hose will create too much of a bottleneck I think so we’re going to do the fiber anyways.

Thanks everyone for the answers, appreciate it as always!

Probably the best solution, good luck!

For Ethernet to BlueHose get a ControlLogix rack, power supply DHRIO card & Etherent card - no CPU needed.

Have an application I work on that is a PLC5 (got the job to upgrade it this summer to CLX) that to use a new computer with the Fix32 that could not get a DH+ adapter working they put in the above and have the PC looking at the Ethernet card & it automatically acts as a bridge between DH+ & Etherent.

Of course - probably cost $2000 for the setup when they did it years ago.