RFID Reader with digital output

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello everyone,

I am working on a project that I need to know when a RFID chip passes over, I just need a 24v input to the PLC so I can reset a timer, I have found lots of readers but they are basically only readers and I cant get a signal from them, they also need to be small in size

I dont need details from the chip just that it passes over.

If anyone knows of one or has used them I could use a little help on this one

Thank you
Mark (GiT)

The MFRC522, which is the RFID reader/writer on the RC522 card, seems to have interrupt capabilities:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MFRC522.pdf#G1001015778

[Update for the stuff below: never mind; the IRQ is to the RC522, not the other way 'round]

https://lastminuteengineers.com/how-rfid-works-rc522-arduino-tutorial/

The RC522 RFID Reader module is designed to create a 13.56MHz electromagnetic field that it uses to communicate with the RFID tags (ISO 14443A standard tags). The reader can communicate with a microcontroller over a 4-pin Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) with a maximum data rate of 10Mbps. It also supports communication over I2C and UART protocols.

The module comes with an interrupt pin. It is handy because instead of constantly asking the RFID module “is there a card in view yet? “, the module will alert us when a tag comes into its vicinity.
Maybe that interrupt pin could be used to do what you want?

Last edited:
Probably over kill for your use.

Yes and it would kill my budget

drbitboy said:
Maybe that interrupt pin could be used to do what you want?

I found one similar but they are all 5-15 volts, I would like to do it all in 24vdc

I think I may have found one in China, waiting for a reply

Thank you both!