1756-hsc

wsteve

Our ABB Vision System requires a Pulse Train Input from an Encoder (12-15 VDC)to calculate the speed of the web. Instead of adding an encoder to the roll, I would like to send it a pulsed signal (240 ppr) created by either a third party device (4-20ma to 240 ppr) or maybe using a 1756-HSC. I would appreciate information on either solution. I am unable to determine if the 1756-HSC can generate this output signal. Thank you for any help.

I just finished a system last week where an ultrasonic scanner needed an encoder input. The scanning head was servo driven, so rather than mount a dedicated encoder, we used one of these:

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Motion-Control/Servo-Drives/Encoder-Output-Modules

A MAG instruction (Motion Axis Gear) is used to set up gearing between the kinetix 5700 servo axis and this encoder module, which then outputs pulses just like a real encoder.