Device Net and Eaton Drive

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Guys,

I’m trying desperately to get device net to communicate with Eaton Power XL DG1 drive. I have the drive on the scan list and downloaded to the scanner as node 16. It shows “ok” under the state.

I’m using assembly 21/71 for the input and output instances as that’s the control the PLC RSLogix5000 is using. I have the instances being mapped to RSLogix5000 Local:4.I.Data[4] and Local:4.O.Data[4]. On the device net scanner I have them mapped to input I:1.74 & I:1.75 and output O:1.32.

I have the Eaton Device net card plugged into the drive and set the baud rate to match the PLC and the Mac ID as 16 and as stated the DN Scanner recognizes it and I have downloaded it to the scan list. For some reason, I’m guessing to do with mapping, I cannot get the drive to work in remote on the DN network.

I’ve got the drives settings to fieldbus for remote control and remote reference. On the I/O data menu for the comms card it’s set to use the polled data and not the Cos data. I have the drive working on local control no problem.

If I double click on the Power XL VFD comms card on RSNetworx spread sheet it brings up the comms card. When I click parameters it asks me to upload the parameters from the card which I do. Then when i click ok it tries to download to the device then fails giving an error saying it failed to communicate with the device.

I’m running out of options here and I’m looking for some help with this as this is an influent pump that needs to be in service. Any pointers would be appreciated.

*Note the old SVX9000 drive failed and the only replacement was the PowerXL DG1. I’m trying to get this new drive to communicate with the existing DN Scanner and PLC logic mapped to the scanner.

I’m using assembly 21/71 for the input and output instances

Those are pre-defined general purpose AC drive control assemblies, 32 bits in size. The first 16 bits are control/ status and the second 16 bits are Reference/Feedback. Get the data maps from the Power XL DG1 comms manual starting on page 122 and print them for your reference.

When you have a 32-bit DeviceNet scanner (what model is yours ?) and a 16-bit command structure for a drive, you typically copy two INTs into one DINT (and vice versa) in your PLC program.

Note that Assembly 21 has Bit 5 and Bit 6 as NetCtrl and NetRef; I think you need to set those =1 for the drive to take its speed and control commands from the network module.

I have the instances being mapped to RSLogix5000 Local:4.I.Data[4] and Local:4.O.Data[4]. On the device net scanner I have them mapped to input I:1.74 & I:1.75 and output O:1.32.

What DeviceNet Scanner module are you using ? Those don't look like they should line up. Unless you're using a 1769-SDN with a MicroLogix 1500 (thus in 16-bit data table mode) the Input.Data[x] and Output.Data[x] should line up, DINT-for-DINT, with the I:x and O:x maps in the scanner.

It also looks like you have mapped two DINTs of Input and one DINT of Output, but Assemblies 21 and 71 are both 32 bits (one DINT).

Such a mismatched connection size should get an Error 77 on the DNet scanner (alternating with the node number, of course).

Are there any other devices on this DeviceNet that are working normally ?

Last edited:
Each physical measurement remembered for this manual uses universal decimal measuring standard units, also called SI (Système Worldwide d'Unités) units. With the end goal of the gear's UL affirmation, a portion of these measurements are joined by their counterparts in magnificent units.

Magnificent units?

Dude, All Units Matter. Even frikin' firkins.

*Note the old SVX9000 drive failed and the only replacement was the PowerXL DG1. I’m trying to get this new drive to communicate with the existing DN Scanner and PLC logic mapped to the scanner.

The SVX9000 is actually a Vacon Drive. The Vacon 100 Flow is a pump and HVAC drive. It is the same size and has all the same terminals.