idea for a book

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
I would like to see a PLC for dummies book. It would be really cool if it was written by Ken, Tom, Allen and maybe some others here.

I couldn't write it, but I have some great cartoon ideas, and a couple of Tips & Tricks that I wouldn't mine sharing.

Come on guys

Write that book proposal to IDG.

I currently own the following "for dummies" books:

*** for dummies
cooking for dummies
C for dummies
C++ for dummies
Perl for dummies

Sure would be cool to own a PLC for dummies book.

Does anyone know if there is a "finding a girlfriend" for dummies?

A Book Never Written

I'm still waiting for

Ventriloquism for Dummies

I think that if Phil wants to, he could market his book to the "For Dummies" people. If they think there's a market for them. But what are your cartoon and troubleshooting ideas? We could always uses a laugh. And your cartoons might be funny, too. ;)

Last edited:
Re: A Book Never Written

Allen Nelson said:
I'm still waiting for

Ventriloquism for Dummies

I think that if Phil wants to, he could market his book to the "For Dummies" people. If they think there's a market for them. But what are your cartoon and troubleshooting ideas? We could always uses a laugh. And your cartoons might be funny, too. (just kidding).

Looks like you already know ventrilioquism, or was the dummy actually talking. hee hee, just kidding

an attempt at plc humor (beta)

5th Wave type comic strips (maybe?):

How about a comic with President Bush playing a card game of war with Sadaam Hussain. Sadaam flips over an ace. President Bush references a 2,000 page document and says..... "I don't see that Ace declared in any of these documents"

Production manager standing over the PLC programmer while he is troubleshooting a system. Production Manager says "Can't you just go buy another one of those P something C boxes and plug it in to fix the problem"

Salesman on the phone to customer..... "Yeah.... Yeah..... We got a guy here that knows that brand, we'll send him right over" Salesman is looking over at an old cripled man with a cane"

Network administrator ... I upgraded all of the computers over the weekend to the latest beta release of Windows ZZZ's 5000. programming tech... "But my programming software doesn't work on that version" Network admin... "The computer belongs to the company, it is not your personal computer. In addition, that software is not on the companies list of approved software. (True story)

Something to do with the suprise required additional hardware item purchases. Customer saves X amount of money by buying a different PLC. Salesman on the phone is talking to customer. In the background there are numerous items labled "Required Proprietary ###" i.e. Required Proprietary programming cable cost $500.00, Required Proprietary programming software cost $50000.00, etc.

{Comic strip with something to the effect of the Verizon 'can you hear me now' commercial. Big broken in half communication cable between the PLC and HMI. HMI screen showing a "communication ok" indicator light. PLC has indicator light representing communication ok.

[Comic] Two men standing in front of a panelview The one points at screen and says "I think that it disappeared behind that button there."

-"Known-Anamoly?" "Is that even a word?" - Two people troubleshooting, clock on the wall says 10:00 pm, They are sitting on the catwalk reading a rev note, on the factory floor.

"What do you mean it was a bug, and you got rid of it" - in reference to the panel view software in which you used to be able to hit the escape key during a copy and paste from one screen to another and the object would be pasted in the exact location on a different screen.

"We have automated all of our safety checks into the plc now" - Maintenance mangager talking to upper management.

Safety check
Passed pilot light
--------------( L )

How to write code so that someone else can understand it.

Start Stop Run
------------| |-----------| |-----------( )

How to write code so an electrician can understand it.

Start Stop Run

------------| |-----------|\ |-----------( )
| |
| Run |
----| |-----

How to write code so your boss can understand it

RUN
-------------------------------------------------------( )

Hmmmm...

Stick to troubleshooting.

If you want PLC humor, here's a repeat a year ago:

Q: Why do PLC programmers confuse Christmas with Halloween?

A: Because 25 Dec = 31 Oct

(= 19 Hex = 00011001 Bin)

Ok, it christmas and all, and corny jokes are accepted at this time so dont flame me.

Here are some famous people that were electricians before they became famous.

WIRE TERP

CLARK CABLE

INSPECTOR PIRO (That's mineral insulated cable in UK)

Shall I go on

reply NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well, shuck, I been doin' PLCs fer dummies fer most o' my career.

Seriously, though, if a feller like Phil wanted to lead the effert, I might be talked into bein a contributor or some sich thing. Terry Woods suggested sumthin' similar a while back, and I still think it is an iterestin' idea.

(Hey, mebbe I ain't the Tom he wuz talkin' about! How embarrassin!)

Wrong Tom? Is there another Tom here? lol

Please scratch Allen off the list now. Stick to troubleshooting? that was cruel.

lol