Different version of RSLogix5000

angi

Hi guys

One question for you:

I just open a old RSLogix5000 file using a new version 5000 software, in order to do it, it ask me to change the version of controller to the new one. what I want to know is whether it is ok to downlaod the program to controller after I update it using the new software, because it will change some instruction automatically.

Thanks

You won't be able to download because the firmware version of the program is now different then the firmware version of the controller.

You can either flash the controller to new firmware or you can find your RS5000 install disc, install all older versions, then re-open and re-edit the original project (once all old versions are installed you won't be asked to change the firmware.)

Some older firmware versions of Logix might not be supported by XP, I think anything less then 10?

Each version of the RSLogix 5000 editor and compiler works with the equivalent version of ControlLogix/CompactLogix firmware only.

If you open a version 15 project, for example, in RSLogix 5000 version 16.03, the project gets converted to version 16 and you can only download it to a version 16.xx controller. The minor version numbers don't need to match, but are important when checking for bugs or updates.

If you need to keep the firmware in your controller the same, you need the RSLogix 5000 version that matches your controller.

It is usually OK to update the controller to match your "current" RSLogix 5000 editor, but there may be details (bugs, service alerts, functional changes, or memory size changes) that pertain to your specific controller model and version.

Post the exact controller part number, the exact RSLogix 5000 version you are using, and the exact firmware versions that are available to you.*

(* Please do not post a pronoun or an approximation.)

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I am using the 1769-L32E COmpactLogix5332E controller, the latest version is 18.11, and old one is 15.
Can I understand in this way that it is not recommanded to change the version of controller.

If it were me, I would install versions 15, 16, 17, and 18 in sequence, and leave the CompactLogix at version 15 unless there was a good reason to change.

When you buy a new license of RSLogix 5000, you are entitled to install all versions of the software, and all versions should be on the DVD that was shipped to you.

I have a computer that had RSLogix 5000 installed before I got it. It's a company computer. It only seems to have firmware version 18. I just went to the disk and installed the firmware kit ( only the firmware kit and the whole kit ). So far I see no difference, or sign that the new firmware is there.

What should I try next?

I have a computer that had RSLogix 5000 installed before I got it. It's a company computer. It only seems to have firmware version 18. I just went to the disk and installed the firmware kit ( only the firmware kit and the whole kit ). So far I see no difference, or sign that the new firmware is there.

What should I try next?
It's difficult to say if you don't provide a context. Do you need to install an older/newer firmware? Are you working wih a controller and its firmware is not v18? Are you opening a file and it's giving any kind of error?

Most of our Ctrl Logix processors work on version 17.1, and we don't want to update them at this time.

I might have the answer. If I install RSLogix 5000 itself, it gives me the option to install just version 18 or 18 and older versions. This is separate from the firmware. Also, 18 is the default even though v19 is an option. It's overcomplicated.

I won't know for a bit because my computer is installing.

What should I try next?

The firmware kit is just that....firmware that you can update the processor memory. You don't need that unless you plan on updating the PLC to a different version. You need to install RSLOGIX5000 for ver 15, to open/use/go online with the ver 15 PLC. Keep in mind, that ver 15 may not work on windows 7 or later...you might need an XP machine.

Hi guys

One question for you:

I just open a old RSLogix5000 file using a new version 5000 software, in order to do it, it ask me to change the version of controller to the new one. what I want to know is whether it is ok to downlaod the program to controller after I update it using the new software, because it will change some instruction automatically.

Thanks

What nobody seems to want to tell you is that, should you choose to upgrade the firmware version of your processor, you will run the risk of "bricking" it, which means that you'll wind up with a failed processor and no warranty or support options.

Make life easy for yourself and just get the older version of the RSLogix5000 software.

What nobody seems to want to tell you is that, should you choose to upgrade the firmware version of your processor, you will run the risk of "bricking" it, which means that you'll wind up with a failed processor and no warranty or support options.

Make life easy for yourself and just get the older version of the RSLogix5000 software.

That was only applicable to the L1 series of processors. Flashing the firmware was done during transfer, and if interrupted, could end up with a "bricked" processor. I once had to do this, on-site, and could only do it via the serial port (not recommended!!). I had the area roped off, RS232 plug retaining screws were done-up, and fingers crossed the power didn't go off, but about an hour later the new firmware was in the processor.

The L6x series and above use a different method for firmware flashing. The whole of the firmware is transferred into the processor's memory, checksum checked, and then the firmware is "flashed" internally.

Interruption of the download phase would result in the processor defaulting to the firmware stated on its label, e.g. 1.9, allowing it to be "flashed" again.

Well that's the theory anyway.... anyone feel brave enough to test it ??

What's "brave" about tripping over a power cord ?

I have inadvertently proof tested the 1756-L6x firmware loading process and can confirm it works as described.

I am in the same boat. I am in the process of downloading each version of RS Logix 5000 off the Rockwell website to satisfy all our ControlLogix and CompactLogix on the plant floor. I did order some refurbished Windows XP laptops . Also , Thanks for your help this week.