AB BootP/DHCP IP Config

agrosse

Having trouble with the BootP server to set up my IP addresses. I am clearly connected to the devices in my panel through a ethernet switch. The IP addresses need to be configured so i open up my BootP server and all i get are DHCP type connections, however my devices are using bootp type connections. How do i change so the bootp program does a search for Bootp type connections. I have the MAC addresses of all my devices but nothing is showing up. Any thoughts would be very helpful!

Cycle the power on your BootP device with BootP program running on your computer. You should see the MAC IDs show up then.

if you are connecting from the pc to the plc, you need a cross over cable.

have you checked your cable with other pc's or on other plc's lately? it could be broken. it happened to one of my guys last month.

regards,
james

All cables checked and i just had another controls engineer come over with his laptop and he is running Windows XP and it picked it up right away, whereas i am running Windows 7. Is there an issue with Windows 7?

Other engineers here in my office can't get the BOOTP / DHCP Server utility to run properly on Win7. We use XP Mode or XP on WMWare

If you have a wireless card in your laptop, turn it off or disable it; as we have seen this give us communication issues. We are using XP mode in Windows 7 and VMware XP virtual machines.

If you have a wireless card in your laptop, turn it off or disable it; as we have seen this give us communication issues. We are using XP mode in Windows 7 and VMware XP virtual machines.

Ditto. Or make sure you are only have one network active at a time.

Make sure you don't use NAT. Bridge the Virtual Machine directly. This gives the VM it's own unique IP (as if it was just another computer on the network).

If the network you are plugging into does not use DHCP and you have not given your host computer a fixed IP, you may notice a DHCP request with a MAC ID matching your computer's NIC card. It was confusing me until I realized what it was...

Does your EN2T already have an IP address ? If it has it will be scrolling across the display....

Will you be using BOOTP in the future ? If not, can you set your EN2T by going serially to the processor and across the backplane using RSLinx. Or, you can use a USB connection to the front of the EN2T - RSLinx will automatically configure the USB driver.

My device does not have an IP already. It scrolls "BOOTP - 'MAC ADDRESS'" across the display. Yes i ended up setting it using RSLinx via USB connection. But i would just like to know for future reference that bootp program works so i am diverse in knowing how to set the ip address. For instance what if i am on site at a customer and it just so happens i forgot my usb cable. Yes i carry this cable with me at all times but you never what you're going to run into on job sites.