Simatic S5-95U -Stopped Error

Chris IWO

Dear All,,
We have a Siemens Simatic S5-95U and there is stopped red LED active
Tried resetting the PLC,switching the Run/Stop toggle push button but PLC cannot go back to RUN mode.
What are the possible causes/errors to this problem
And what is the name of the PLC programming software for Simatic S5 and where can i download?
Need some help

Thank you

There could be a number of errors, if the battery has gone flat and it does not have an Eprom (orange push in module) then your program will have been lost, however, if battery is good and it has extension I/O then it is possible that there is a bad connection on the bus or a faulty card. if the battery has never been changed and no eprom then it will have lost it's program & the DB0 settings.

It will be quite expensive to get the S5-95U (or a spare CPU) up and running again. And it is not that easy, since it is a very arcaic PLC and software.

If you have the source code (STEP5), it could be better to migrate to a new and modern PLC.
If you dont have the source code, but you do have a printed program listing, then it could be the only solution with the aid of the S5 program listing to write a new program on a new and modern PLC.

If you dont have the source code, but you do have a printed program listing, then it could be the only solution with the aid of the S5 program listing to write a new program on a new and modern PLC.

Just a reminder that printed programs can be even more out of date than drawings. Though it's usually a step in the right direction.

This is from someone that has a print with some not so slight modifications in a running S5.

Look in your archives of PLC programs, and you'll most likely looking for a STEP 5 program file with the file extension .S5D... or it could possiblly be a Ladder 90 file with extension .LAD. The file extension for an S5 for Windows project is .s5p

This is just to help you look for the files, if they're laying around on a floppy disk, CD or computer somewhere in your plant.