Factory talk datalogging stops

zxced

Hi guys. I need your help with my factory talk se. It seems that it suddenly stops at showing trends. I already datalogoff and on then change the path. But still no luck. Appreciate your help.

Are you logging locally to the server PC, or remotely to a separate SQL Server?

If locally, you might be running out of room, or file sizes may be getting too large.

If remotely, you might be having authentication problems with the SQL server, network issues or something similar, look at the SQL logs for errors.

In either case, logging too many points too frequently can choke View SE.

Hi guys. I need your help with my factory talk se. It seems that it suddenly stops at showing trends. I already datalogoff and on then change the path. But still no luck. Appreciate your help.

Lots of possibilities here...

Datalogging is a task that runs in the background. Displaying a trend shouldn't impact logging. Unless as mentioned, too much data is being requested and it is choking the system.

I would take a look at all datalogs that are running, how many tags they are logging, and how often they are being logged. It is possible we are just overloading the communications.

Also, I would look at where the data is being logged. If it is remote, is there a possibility that we are occasionally losing communications with that location. Is there a defined secondary backup location that is local to that PC so if we do lose communications we can log locally until comms are restored?

As for trends... FactoryTalk View SE added a new type of trend a few versions back. It is called TrendPro. For the moment let's assume you are using the normal trend tool.

What can sometimes happen with this tool is it can be requesting Live Data along with historical data from the data log. This can cause added traffic. Typically this results in data being missed, not a shutdown of the datalog itself. Open the trend configuration and look at the General tab. See if it is set to Real-time data server. If so, perhaps try changing it to Poll historical data.

Real-time logs data from the Datalog (if specified) and fills in around that logged data with Live data from when the trend window opened. So, if you are logging once every ten seconds the Historical option only shows you that historical data from the datalog. If you use Real-time is will show you the historical data and fill in additional Live data based on the refresh rate of the trend. If that were one second, you would see data plotted every one second. If you closed that screen and reopened it, all that Live data you saw from before would disappear and you would see historical data plus it would start plotting new Live data at that point.

My point being that the Real-time option adds network traffic to pull historical and Live data where the historical option only needs to get the historical data.

Also, in the Diagnostic List is there a message telling you any error about the datalog model?

OG

Hi. Yes, it's a local pc server. The settings of the datalog model is to delete 6 months old file/s and I have 50gb storage for the datalogs.

What I did, I changed the destination file from different hard drive and it works.

There's no any error message in the diagnostic list and our operators want a real time update on the trends as well. I'd try the historical data if it occurs.

Thanks for your ideas guys. Appreciate it