Quick RSLogix 500 question

kjacoby

Good morning,
Years ago I watched a programmer do a search for pending edits in RSLogix500. I have never been able to figure out what it was that he typed in to show all pending edits in the program. It was in the quick search bar in the toolbar, and seemed like it was, "e", "e:", "i", or something along those lines. Does anyone have a clue?

Thank you
Kenneth

Awesome! Thank you very much Ron. I knew it had to be something simple.

Now another question, knowing the answer, I still cannot find anything about ^A, where do you find this at?

see the picture I added as an edit in the previous post ...

experiment with those ideas for a few minutes and it should make sense ... basically the menu selections will put the correct "code" in the search window for you ...

I used ^A (any I, R, or D zone) in my example - since those are the "editing culprits" that usually keep the machinery from working in a troubleshooting situation ... try the other codes (menu selections) until you find whatever "edit rung" you're looking for ...

Last edited:
Sidenote: I tried the "^A" trick in RSLogix5000 the other day...didn't work...maybe I did something wrong.
The other types of searching for edit zones seems to be included in RSLogix5000 v16.00, but not the all inclusive one that I like so much:

RSL5kFindEdits.png

Last edited:
The Find Within window that Ron pointed out had "Rung Types" selected and the other options deselected. I suspect Ron did that for you to make that option stand out. However, you can select that option and the others as well and those settings will be retained the next time you launch RSLogix. That option is selected by default.

So while it looked like several steps, that whole Find Within is just a one time setting. You don't have to do that each time.

You can also use the Online Toolbar to access this search. Click on the "Edits Exist" (or in my example "No Edits") portion of the toolbar and the area to the right will change from showing the controller status indicators to show you the status of Online Edits. There is an icon there that looks like a binocular. That takes you straight to the Search for Edits.

OG

Capture.JPG

... the other options deselected. I suspect Ron did that for you to make that option stand out.

yes, that was precisely my intention ...

However, you can select that option and the others as well and those settings will be retained the next time you launch RSLogix.

yes, that is correct ... in most versions the check box settings for the "Find In ROUTINES" search WILL be retained when you restart the RSLogix5000 software ...

but be very careful ... (and here's the tricky "gotcha" part) ...

in most versions the check boxes for the "Find in TAGS" search will NOT be retained when the RSLogix5000 software is restarted ...

specifically, each time that you restart the software, the "Find In TAGS" feature reverts back to searching ONLY in NAMES by default ... more specifically, if you don't check before you do a search in the tags listing, you might NOT be searching in Aliases, Base Tags, Descriptions, or Types ... inadvertently conducting such a restricted search operation could obviously eat up a lot of valuable troubleshooting time ...

so ...

personally I recommend that you just get in the habit of always examining the settings of the "Find Within" area before each and every search operation – just to be SURE that you're always getting a fully conclusive search operation ...

summing up:

you have TWO search features which look VERY similar ... one is the "Find In ROUTINES" feature ... the other is the "Find In TAGS" feature ... and even though these two features LOOK very similar – they are NOT consistent in how they retain their settings when the RSLogix5000 software is restarted ...

you have been warned ...

Last edited: