Micrologix 1100 Comm issue after firmware update?

SpecialK87

Hello All,

I was recently tasked with updating the firmware on all our Micrologix 1100s to v16. I took processors from the bench, flashed them with v16, then downloaded the appropriate programs, and then switched them out with the ones in the field. Since doing so I've been experiencing intermittent comm issues. I have 2 processors that are loosing and reestablishing comms at random intervals but it's happening at about every 30 secs. But also at times they are losing comms for a long enough period to trigger alarms (5 mins). There are several others processors that are dropping and reestablishing comms as well but not as frequently. Before updating and switching out the processors there was never this type of frequency with comm loss and I am wondering if there are known issues with the newer firmware version that explains the issue I am having.

I'm also wondering if it could it be something with the network that they're on? They all use radio transmitters for Ethernet connectivity so maybe disconnecting from the transmitter caused some kind of problem?

Also, when flashing the processors, I connected via serial cable and had to reset the DCOMM settings to default to establish the connection. However the programs that were downloaded all used Ethernet drivers for communication but maybe that caused an issue??

I have been able to connect remotely over Ethernet so my thought is that it's not a processor issue and more of a network issue but I don't know.:confused:

I'm just trying to narrow it down, so any help is much appreciated

Thanks,
-Kyle

After the IP settings were changed when the programs were downloaded, have the PLCs been power cycled? They can behave funny if you don't power cycle them after changing the IP address. I have had cases with ML1100 and 1400 where everything seemed normal but after about 30 minutes, for example, the HMI would have trouble reading data from them...a power cycle cleared it up. RSLogix 500 normally will warn you about this when you perform a change to the Channel 1 settings.

All the programs were downloaded in the office then brought to the sites so a power cycle should have occurred. However, the way I did all this was as follows:

1. I made copies of the programs that are on my customers VM and transferred them to my laptop.
2. On my laptop programs, changed the com driver to serial cable.
3. Downloaded the programs to the processors.
4. Installed the processors in the field.
5. Connected remotely via ethernet from customers VM with original programs (which already had the ethernet driver configured as the comm driver)

So, this is a WAG, but did they request a firmware update because they were having comms issues, and now you are still having those same issues?

No Sir, the update was for the security vulnerabilities in the old versions. Trying to tighten up comm sec. Guess comm sec isn't an issue when there's no comm:ROFLMAO: