1747-PIC Install via LPT port

bumfg

I am installing a SLC 500 with an old 1747-PIC. This PIC has the old LPT port interface. The problem with this is that the computer does not recognize this port as a COM port, and so when I attempt to configure the driver, I am not given an option for LPT ports.

Is there a way around this?

Also, can I simply connect the SLC 500 to the computer via CAT-5?

Thanks,
Martin

Are you sure the pic has a parallel port? All the ones I've seen have a 25 pin serial port on them. You just need a 25 pin to 9 pin converter to connect to a 9 pin serial port on the computer.

My 1747-PIC has a DB25 serial plug on the end or a gray flat ribbon cable. I don't see any way that part can be changed. I use a DB25-DB9 adaptor (cost+dime a dozen from about anywhre) to convert so it fits to the comm port on the back of my laptop. I have heard that this PIC box will not work attached to a USB-serial converter cable. (Used when ones laptop does not have actual serial ports.

I'd also suggest that your 1447-PIC would be serial (RS232) not parrallel (LPT1).

bumfg said:
I am installing a SLC 500 with an old 1747-PIC. This PIC has the old LPT port interface. The problem with this is that the computer does not recognize this port as a COM port, and so when I attempt to configure the driver, I am not given an option for LPT ports.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Martin

The PIC never had a LPT port option. Its the old standard DB-25 pin serial connection. You'll need a DB25-to-DB9 adaper to work with the newer COM ports.

These guys are right, the PIC module is serial and you need a 25 - 9 pin adapter.

Just another note, depending on your version of RSLinx, the PIC driver may not be loaded. It was several versions ago, but it was not avaialble until you downloaded it from the web site.

The newer versions have it built in, so it may not be an issue. It bit me once or twice, thought I would pass it on.

bumfg said:

Hmmm.....CAT-5 meaning Ethernet?

Can you post more info on what type of SLC 500 you have?

The 5/05 have an inbuilt ethernet port.
The 5/04 & 5/03 can be connected to ethernet via a 1761-NET-ENI

IMHO Anything earlier (5/02, 5/01 or brick) cannot be connected via ethernet

If you attempt to connect to your SLC with cat 5 (ethernet), make sure the CPU is a 5/05 (1747-L551, -L552, or -L553). If your SLC is not one of these, DO NOT CONNECT AN ETHERNET DEVICE TO THE SLC's RJ-45 PORT. 500 fixed, 5/01, 5/02, and 5/03 CPU RJ-45 port is DH-485 and (2) of the pins on this connector have 24 vdc on them. If you connect an ethernet device to one of these SLC's, you will fry the ethernet device.

The posts are right - get a 9 pin to 25 pin adaptor.

Here's another tip that may help you, In order to get the 1747-PIC configured on my laptop, I had to do the following. With the PIC connected, I went into device manager and uninstalled the COM port. I rebooted the computer with the PIC connnected. The computer re-installed the COM port on boot-up and the PIC essentially became part of the COM port. After that, I could configure it in RSLynx with no problem. This is the only way I could ever get it to work. Good Luck!