Splitting a 24VDC high speed output signal?

rupej

I have a customer that wants to use a single MicroMotion flow meter output (24VDC high speed digital) to go to various batch controllers (pulse counters) at once.

I suspect you could wire the signals in parallel, but it seems like a bad idea. Does anybody know of a high speed output splitter (similar to a 4-20mA splitter) that they've used with good success? Or maybe there is a better way to do this altogether?

Thanks!

How many?

If you're talking about a digital input to a high impedance input point on less than a handful of separate controllers, then parallel might be the best way to do it (until something goes wrong and you have to track it down)...

If all of the controllers don't need the data instantly, then perhaps you wire to the most important one, and use a protocol to share the data with the others...

You could always use a small PLC to interrupt the signal and then send it out on several different outputs. We're currently using a Velocio ACE to do something similar. I know it adds a layer of complexity, but sometimes you have to.

http://velocio.net/ace/

A saying comes to mind, “the cheap always comes out expensive”. In my view, unless you’ve got a device that is designed to go to multiple inputs I’d run it to one PLC and have that PLC distribute the count to other devices that need the information. You might be spending a little more now (although with the cost of some of the lower cost PLC’s these days we aren’t talking about a significant cost increase) but you’ll be gaining a ton of reliability and robustness.
I’d ask your customer this, do they really want to build a system that is using components outside of how they were designed to be used or would they rather have a system using components as they were designed to be used? The answer is kinda a simple one for me.

Should know what the frequency output range is.

0-1Khz?
0-2Khz?
0-5Khz?
0-10Khz?

It makes a difference what sort of PLC I/O cards are used.

I work the MicroMotion Meters and Batch Controllers all the time. Running 3 Batch Controllers with only one meter can be very complicated if not impossible.

You haven't explained the exact layout of the system and how it is suppose to work, but I can make a educated guess based on what I have been asked to do in the past:
I am guessing this is a barrel filling or loading situation were there is one line with a meter that will service 3 different filling/loading positions. The customer wants to save money by only using one meter instead of 3. There will be a batch controller at each location that will control a valve that will cut off the flow when the desired volume is reached. So how close am I?

First Problem I See:
If they are using more than one position at a time how will they know for sure how much volume each position is getting? The total is known but not each position's volume. It will not be evenly decided by 3. How dangerous is this product if it is spilled? If they over fill a container is that going to be a huge issue? Have done this a few times in the world of Petroleum. It only took a couple of spills of petroleum and they end up buying more meters to be able to use all positions at the same time safely. This is were I get my tag line on my post!!

Second Problem I See:
If they say they will only use one at a time, that most likely will end up not being true. Lets just say they do only stick to one position. How will the other Batch Controllers handle seeing pulses when they are not commanded to be used? Some will end up with some kind of alarm. The Controllers I use will Alarm when seeing pulses and it is not commanding a valve to open. While this may just end up as a nuisance it is something they need to know about.

If I am completely wrong here and they only want to display volume on some kind of counter then you may be able to parallel the signal to all 3 counters if they are the same model and brand. If that wont work then look for a pulse splitter on the web. Here is one I found that looks pretty good: https://www.walchem.com/literature/Accessories/180538_Signal%20Splitter.pdf

Good luck.

Thanks a bunch guys!

I haven't given much info about the process because I honestly don't know much. My company is bidding two unloading/batch control systems for a large design firm. I have no knowledge of the rest of the process, I just have to build two batch control systems that operate a pump and a few valves, and receive pulses from this overworked MicroMotion meter.

I have no idea what I'm pumping, where it's going, or exactly how it will interact with the rest of the process. But I want to make sure there's technically a way to do what they're asking, however bad of an idea.

Thanks again!