Studio 5000 Inhibit Module

_Dock_

Is there a way to inhibit a module at the bit level? Instead of going into the properties and inhibiting the module it would be handy if you could do it with a bit instead. We build machines with varying options and some dont have all modules installed. keeping the software common is a problem when you have to inhibit modules through the programming software.

Yup ! We run an initialization routine where we check a Serial Number and un-inhibit the applicable I/O devices.

I run a routine that sets the value "0" to the an INT type tag that is then used to SSV the Module object's Mode attribute. That value will be "4" (bit 02 is True) if the device is Inhibited, so writing a zero is the same as un-checking the "Inhibit Module" box.

You'll see it in the GSV/SSV Objects section in the Studio 5000 Help file.

I prefer to inhibit modules that are in the I/O tree but not used by the program, so they don't show up as I/O connection faults on the blinking indicator in Logix 5000, or scrolling across the CPU display, or using up buffers and connections in a futile connection attempt.

Getting the "Inhibited" status instead of "Faulted" back from my status-checking GSV also prevents me from triggering false Alarms, and helps me be confident my hardware-detecting routine is working correctly.

I see, that's a good reason to inhibit. Also, you mention your hardware-detecting routine, are there bits that show whether a module is faulted or not? That would also be useful in troubleshooting. That way, I can create an alarm on an HMI stating that a particular module is faulted out and needs resetting / replacing.

There's a GSV for module status. It will give responses like 16#4000, 16#5000, and so on (I think I have the right amount of zeros).

I see, that's a good reason to inhibit. Also, you mention your hardware-detecting routine, are there bits that show whether a module is faulted or not? That would also be useful in troubleshooting. That way, I can create an alarm on an HMI stating that a particular module is faulted out and needs resetting / replacing.

And to expand on what Ken said. I watch the I/O status with a GSV and will trigger an alarm if there is an error. The only way to prevent this with unused modules is to inhibit it.

I had a situation one time with a powerflex 525 that made me monitor the I/O status. The ethernet cable became slightly disconnected from the switch causing it to lose communications. Because this happened while the machine was powered OFF it did not trigger the drive faulted bit. Operators powered up the machine, went to run and one of the axis wouldnt move, no alarms they automatically think bug. After a few hours of troubleshooting they figured it out, by monitoring the status of the I/O it prevents these types of situations.

It's better practice to read the mode using a GSV first, and then set/reset bit 2, and then send changes mode using SSV. The other bits may have separate functions that you may not want to change. If bit 0 is set, a major fault will be generated if the module connection faults while the controller is in Run mode.

What's the purpose of inhibiting the module, why not keep it enabled? How would keeping the module enabled affect the program?

I inhibit I/O modules when I have the need to use "simulation" code away from the plant. The simulation code provides the required feedback inputs from plant items, e.g. valves and pumps.

For the simulation to work as intended, it is necessary to inhibit the Input modules, so that the simulated data doesn't get overwritten by the modules.

We use the same software for 99% of a particular type of machine we sell, we inhibit the modules in the software depending on how many of the options the customers has purchased.

They all leave the factory with the same software.