SLC505 to SLC505 MSG Instruction Help

Brian

Need help with the MSG instruction in a SLC505. We have a pushbutton input in one PLC that when pushed I'd like it to set a bit or reflect as an input in another SLC505 on the same ethernet network.

Is the msg instruction the best way to do this and are there any examples out there that can help me?

Hi Brian,

There is another method in the SLC called the Global message file but it is quite hard to understand at first and dangerous if not set up correctly.
If you look under processor status (button) global data you will see this status file.You will be able to use 1 word for each station on the network.If you want to try this i can send you a helpfile.

regards.

oh, well ... back to the "message" command ...

sorry, garryt1 ... it's a great idea but it looks like he's using an SLC-5/05 for ethernet ... the "global data" thing is only for DH+ on an SLC-5/04 ...

and by the way...

Brian,

have you tried doing a search on this forum for "MSG"? ... I just tried it and came up with several hits ... some even mentioned a sample program for an SLC-5/05 ... check it out ... then post again if you have some specific questions ... the main thing to remember is that the MSG does not work at the bit level ... you'll need to transfer an entire 16-bit word and then interpret the bit status at the other end of the line ...

Last edited: