PLC Programing Beginner

kwameplc

hi all,

I am a PLC beginner.trying to learn how to program on my own at home.
I am about to purchase a training kit online and just needed some advise on which one to purchase; i have narrowed down to 3 different plc's and i will list what comes with each and hopefully you guys can advice me;

1. Make: AutomationDirect $350
Model: AD05D
Includes: 1 PLC, 1 Training Module with 4 discrete inputs and 4 discrete outputs, power switch, programming cable, power cable, programming lessons and USB to Serial adapter....

2.Make:Allen-Bradley $400
Communication Interface Included:1747-PIC, SER A
Model:1747-DEMO-4, SER D
Accessories Included: Communication Cable, Power Cord, and Key
Controller Platform:SLC 500
Demo/Training Software in Processor:None - User Will Have to Provide Their Own Program
MPN:1747-DEMO-4
Included Processor:1747-L532, SER D
Type:Demo/Training Kit, with 1747-L532, SER D
Programmer Included: 1747-PT1, SER B

3.Brand: Siemens $384
Type:Software/Training Model:S7 1200 trainer
Controller Platform: S7/1200
Includes 1 PLC/CPU, 1 analog input, 1 analog output, 4 discrete inputs and 4 discrete outputs, power switch, Ethernet/Profinet programming cable, manuals and sample programs on the flash drive, NO SOFTWARE.

I would steer you toward allen-bradley, but the software for the one you listed will be expensive. That SLC 5/03 CPU would require at a minimum RSLogix 500 Starter which lists for $1400 and doesn't allow online editing or address cross references. So I would suggest starting with a Micrologix 1100 plc, which can be programmed with RSLogix Micro Starter Lite which is free.

Look here for more trainer options:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1/

The Automation Direct PLC in your list is one that could prove to be a good tool to teach you about number systems and how to do things the hard way. You will find some of those units and their more advanced cousins in real life, so the experience could be a good one, but they are much less common in the USA than anything with Allen Bradley on the label.

Automation Direct (Koyo) makes the Click PLC which we have used quite a bit. It would be your least expensive option and the software is free. It's software is much better than the DL05 software but not nearly as good nor as widely used as RSLogix 500.

Here are some kits for A/D:
https://www.plccable.com/automation-direct/

Last edited:
Hi,

If you are new to PLC's and looking to get started with programming, why don't you have a look at some software like LogixPro 500. It has prebuilt simulators that give you the chance to practice programming, and is based on RSLogix 500.

This would allow you pick up some programming experience/techniques without the expense of buying hardware, and associated software.

I think you can pick it up for around $35 as well (used to be anyway).

Hey, what is your purpose of your training?
If you wanna masterized your programming skill, i prefer just use some emulator.

I using twidosoft, because it's free and you can simulate your program. You can search the module of PLC Training and use your twidosoft to emulate that.

If you are advanced enough, buy some micrologix (maybe) or twido again maybe, or other PLC with just a few I/O point. So you can train to integrate PLC with the physical device and train to know some device communication .

KwamePLC > what do you guys think about this?
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradl...-training-kit/

Looks good to me.
I think the CCW software can be downloaded free - assuming it
isn't in the kit. Having lights and buttons to program around
is a definite plus.

PLC's, in my opinion, are more than just programming. There is the
real world inputs and outputs and seeing them get into the program
and what the program does with them then seeing the PLC make
something happen.

Poet.

Would be a good starter kit. Analog In/Out and the digital would give plenty to play with.

CCW is a free download from Rockwell. The new V11 of CCW gives the "look and feel" of RSLogix 5000 (500) Much better than the previous versions. Be sure to download the add-on pack which gives mnemonic programming ability and a drag and drop toolbar. Also, supposedly allows cutting and pasting from Logix.

The 820 also has an ethernet port so additional training with ethernet addressing, modbus TCP/IP, etc. would be possible. Also, a ethernet HMI screen could be added later for more functionality.

Jumping into this one,

#4 Beckhoff
Buy a BK1112 ethernet adapter, a couple input and output cards (EL1004, EL2004) and a power supply for the rack KL9560.

Download TwinCAT3 for free and use it to learn how to write code in LAD, SFC, and STL formats all from one PC.

I learned all my basics on PLC5 and that hindered me greatly when it came to learning other companies stuff.

I'm going to say that if you want to spend $300 bucks, find something like a productivity 1000 setup from automation direct, and get on ebay. You can find boxes of old motor starters / switches / etc for cheap, and within your budget, then wire it up yourself. Programming is only half the battle.