Internet Access at remote Sites

id10t_error

Lifetime Supporting Member
Manny systems we build are not connected to the internet and during startup its nice to have access to manuals on the internet.

I typically tether my phone to my laptop with the physical ethernet port on my laptop connected to the control network. I have in the past had a wifi router that tethered to my phone so I can grant devices on the control network access to the network.

In rare cases, it would be nice to connect the HMI panel PC to the internet for installing updates or grant 3rd party tech support access to the panel PC.

Does anyone know of a router with or without wifi that is cell backed? So I don't have to spend my personal cell data or in some cases run the battery down if not plugged into power. or is there a better/simpler solution?

Thanks, AaBeck!

Yea exactly like that but with an ethernet port.

Ill search amazon for a Cell Backed Portable Wifi Router with Ethernet Ports.

We use Multitech Cellular Modem with Verizon Private network.

I'm in the Oil and Gas Industry and travel to very (and I mean very remote) locations all over the US. I have NEVER not been able to connect to the Internet!

I have in the past had a wifi router that tethered to my phone so I can grant devices on the control network access to the network.

In rare cases, it would be nice to connect the HMI panel PC to the internet for installing updates or grant 3rd party tech support access to the panel PC.

If you came to my site and your system was on our local network, I'd be extremely upset that you put an internet connection onto my local network... I might even kick you off the job site.

Now if you are setting up a standalone and it isn't connected to my scada or historian system... make sure to let the site know. I don't want insecure connections to my equipment. If you need an internet connection let me know, I can set you up with something with my network team.

BUT, I've been too several sites that didn't even ask if I had anti-virus and all my updates. So... maybe I'm just too anal as an end user.

BUT, I've been too several sites that didn't even ask if I had anti-virus and all my updates. So... maybe I'm just too anal as an end user.

Someone called me an AR Engineer, and when I asked they said it meant Anal Retentive.

I said "what other kind is there?"