FactoryTalk Me String Input Enable - How to Display String Contents Before Modifying

ControlSysNick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working with FactoryTalk ME 8.10

I am using the String Input Enable object to allow the Process Engineer to type in a string to label a recipe field (that I'm managing with a ControlLogix PLC, rather than with the PanelView).

When the String Input Enable button is pressed, it always displays a blank field and not the string that is already in the string Tag that is connected to this object. That means that the complete string needs to be typed in every time, even if it's just a few characters that need to change.

Is there any way of having the string that is already in the string tag displayed for editing?

Thanks!

Nick

I found my answer in Rockwell Knowledbase article 618475

You can have the contents of the string displayed above the keyboard when the user is typing in the new string - by clicking on the "Insert Variable" button on the Label tab of the String Input Enable properties and inserting the string tag that the string input enable is connected to.

However, this will not populate the field so the user can edit the existing string.

A new string always has to be entered from scratch.

Quite an oversight by the Rockwell programmers!